They MIGHT be coming home.....again

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

Re: They MIGHT be coming home.....again

#31 Post by Pippin89 »

walesdave wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 7:07 pm Quick question....has anyone had an FEO knock on their door and ask if they've ever heard loud arguments coming from next door or had any 'problems' with their neighbours?

Just found out my neighbours have.
No but my ex-brother in law who is a policeman (not an FEO, just regular officer) has told me he had to do something similar. There was a dispute between 2 FAC/SGC holders who were neighbours, in Wales actually, and he had to attend. So they were speaking to several neighbours in the area.
Pete
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#32 Post by Pete »

I think the the police may have finally had a bit of a "eureka" moment following Plymouth, (or a severe kicking....).
We've both renewed over the last 18 months, and it's obvious that the vetting is being applied with a lot more gusto than previously.
All referees were questioned, and FEO visits made. In fact it's the first time we've seen an FEO since the initial visit when we applied 15 years ago.
I certainly don't have a problem with that as long as they consistently apply the law when they have any doubts about an individual. They should ask as many questions as they consider necessary to prevent firearms getting into unsuitable hands.
Had they done that in the past, maybe certain horrific events wouldn't have happened, and shooting as a sport wouldn't be as vilified as it is now.

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
Blackstuff

#33 Post by Blackstuff »

Pete wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 7:59 am
Had they done that in the past, maybe certain horrific events wouldn't have happened, and shooting as a sport wouldn't be as vilified as it is now.

Pete
The problem is it WAS done in the past, specifically Horden, Plymouth and Dunblane, but nothing was done about it wallhead
DVC
Graham M

#34 Post by Graham M »

Well when you are in the same Mason's Lodge as the Assistant Chief Constable it doesn't matter if you are a complete menace to society because he will sign off on it.
And then get promoted to chief constable so that he can retire on a higher pension.
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Blackstuff

#35 Post by Blackstuff »

Having a then MP, later Secretary General for NATO, as a referee doesn't hurt either.
DVC
Pete
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#36 Post by Pete »

They certainly didn't apply the law in the Dunblane episode,.....freemasonry trumps all, it seems, but Plymouth........??
There was absolutely no excuse for missing that one.

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
Blackstuff

#37 Post by Blackstuff »

I may have misinterpreted what you meant in your previous post but Hamilton was investigated by child protection elements of the then Central Scotland Police force and the sergeant in charge (Sgt Paul Hughes IIRC) recommended that Hamiltons certificates to be pulled immediately, the FLD then failed to do its job. As the equivalent depts did in Devon & Cornwall (Plymouth) and Durham (Horden) by initially pulling the certs but then giving them back in spite of the evidence.
DVC
Graham M

#38 Post by Graham M »

Paul Hughes wanted it stopped but the ACC signed off on it because it was long suspected the they belonged to the same lodge. The blame went right to the top.
That's why there was such a concerted effort put into blaming all pistol shooters in order to take away all blame from the top people.
And we all know the rest of the story where the ACC was promoted to CC and then retired to Australia on a higher pension.
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#39 Post by Pippin89 »

Gents, this has got off topic again. Lets keep it to Walesdave's experience.