M1 GARAND

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

Lever357
Home club or Range: Louisa Centre

M1 GARAND

#1 Post by Lever357 »

I'm looking at purchasing a straight pull M1 Garand - I'm quite far down the rabbit warren!!!!!

The one I am interested in (have not seen it yet as the seller is 200 miles away) has CIP proof marks only, no Birmingham or London marks. Since I started looking at it and contacting various people it would appear most only have CIP proof. I thought all guns had to bear UK proof marks??

And then we get to the more involved part - a gunsmith I trust told me if it was ever a semi-auto, and hence a section 5 weapon in UK eyes, then putting a new barrel on the rifle so it has no gas port and has to be manually operated does not make it a section 1 - apparently once a S5, always a S5. If it has been assembled from parts he reckons it would be okay, if the receiver was new though and had never been on a semi-auto rifle!! What is the chance of finding that info out?

I know a few of you have M1 Garand and Carbine, what are your thoughts??
Remember, we're all here because we're not all there!
DanTheMan
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Weybridge

Re: M1 GARAND

#2 Post by DanTheMan »

The Oakrise Garands were knocked together in Italy hence the CIP proof, just buy it and enjoy shooting it.

https://www.gunmart.net/militaria/antiq ... aight-pull
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

Re: M1 GARAND

#3 Post by bradaz11 »

doesn't need uk proof, any european proof is equivilant and so ok.

search the forum, its been debated a million times. almost all are sec 1. a few that were in the country and converted by changing the barrel were deemed to be sec5. all the oakrise and ITL conversions were fine and sec1.

a reciever can enter the country and be built into a rifle. that is the grounding. same as straightpull ARs. think about it, the only way they could get rid of the vz58 mars rifles was banning the mechanism. if it was about history of the parts, they would all be deemed sec5 and dealt with.

buy the rifle and enjoy it.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns