French MAS 36

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
ukrifleman

Re: French MAS 36

#21 Post by ukrifleman »

Good to know that all the wood is tight, they are often loose due to drying out and shrinkage over time.
Obviously try it out first, you might get lucky and find it's already set up for your loads
I don't think US gun dealers ship to the UK anymore, although Brownell's UK might be able to source a rear sight if needed.
French/EU gun dealers still ship to the UK as far as I know, so that is a good place to search.
Other than that, you could try any of the UK militaria sites that sell de-ac's, they might have a MAS with the sight you need and you could always do a swap.
Finally, if you find it shoots high/right, then I happen to have a spare -4G8 rear sight that will bring the POA 135mm down and 270mm left at 200m, this is of course with 7.5x54 military ball.
ukrifleman.
Richo
Home club or Range: Sedbergh shooting club

#22 Post by Richo »

Thanks will bare that in mind, fortunately i have Dutch relatives (wifes Dutch) so i can get stuff posted to European address saves on any customs hassle.
I am going to reload some cast rounds this weekend for 100 yds, after slugging the barrel that is, have you found any preference for bullet weight, i was think 155/166 gr but i do have some heavier bullets ie 175/200 gr.
Will be using 2400 and 5744 to start with, i have some PPU factory 139gr i think, that came with it but thought i should keep that for longer ranges.
ukrifleman

#23 Post by ukrifleman »

I found the Lee 160gn .312-2R bullet, gas checked to .309 (mould No. 90361) worked well in my rifle.
I used Lovex DO60 (5744), Snia GM3 and Rel 7 powders with success, although I preferred Rel 7 as it burns much cleaner than DO60.
Having a back door into Europe for stuff means you have got it made!
The PPU 139gn .308 FMJ bullet worked well in my rifle, but I found pressure issues with the PPU 150gn .308 FMJ.
ukrifleman.
Richo
Home club or Range: Sedbergh shooting club

#24 Post by Richo »

Thanks for the info i have that Lee 160vr mould plus the 155 gr one, i use them foor my AIA 7.62x39 carbine, shoots really well with them. Slugged my M36 today got a bore reading off.2975"/.298" and groove reading .3075"/,308" so things look good although the barrel needed a good clean out, i will size some at.309" and some at .310" and see how things go, i was wrong about the counterbored muzzle, it isn't on closer inspection the rifling runs right up to the crown
The woodwork must be dry as its eaten up the BLO i put on it Friday so gave it another coat today, i know the previous owner never really shot it, more of a collectors piece sat in the corner of one of many gun cupboards in his armoury room.