Powder coating cast bullets.

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
meles meles
Home club or Range: HBSA

Re: Powder coating cast bullets.

#11 Post by meles meles »

ps, We do agree with you about the fragmentation and hydrocarbon malarkey. Where are the hydrocarbons meant to come from? The lube?
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#12 Post by dromia »

Aye the 6.5 Swedish with its fast twist rifling and long bullets needs a different cast bullet approach from most other calibres.

Sometimes you get rough barrels that just beget fouling be it lead, copper or a coating.

I find adding copper to my alloy helps with such bores.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
markie
Home club or Range: looe

#13 Post by markie »

I bought the gun from Elecctrostatic magic, as I didn't like the "Tumble them in an ice cream" tub method. The latter usually takes 2 coats. I've had some great results although it meand sizing twice. I'm still experimenting but I definately think the gun is wirthwhile.
FredB
Home club or Range: stourport

#14 Post by FredB »

Starting with pistols. I have been loading cast bullets. like Dromia, for 50 plus years. Leading is caused by hard, undersized bullets which do not expand on firing and allow the flame front to melt the edge of the bullet base. Professional casters use hard lead mixes because they look pretty, with good definition. There is nothing wrong with this, providing that the bullet is at least groove diameter. If it is not, then you will get leading.
\fred
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#15 Post by dromia »

markie wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 10:07 pm I bought the gun from Elecctrostatic magic, as I didn't like the "Tumble them in an ice cream" tub method. The latter usually takes 2 coats. I've had some great results although it meand sizing twice. I'm still experimenting but I definately think the gun is wirthwhile.
So what cast bullet problem were you seeking to solve with this "process"?

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

markie

#16 Post by markie »

I wasn't actually trying to solve anything. I shot many thousands of cast bullets back in the 80s. Having been away from the sport for 30 years all my gear had gone and I was starting again. I used to use a Saeco lube sizer, but as I said that's long gone.

I came across the process of powder coating so decided to go that route, particularly since lube sizers seem to have gone up considerably in price. From my research it does allow higher velocities and they say it doesn't lead the barrel.......... although I never experienced leading in the past. A powder coating gun has other uses as well, hence my decision.

Plus bullets in Nato green and bright red look really cool.
dromia
Site Admin

#17 Post by dromia »

markie wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 12:39 pm I wasn't actually trying to solve anything. I shot many thousands of cast bullets back in the 80s. Having been away from the sport for 30 years all my gear had gone and I was starting again. I used to use a Saeco lube sizer, but as I said that's long gone.

I came across the process of powder coating so decided to go that route, particularly since lube sizers seem to have gone up considerably in price. From my research it does allow higher velocities and they say it doesn't lead the barrel.......... although I never experienced leading in the past. A powder coating gun has other uses as well, hence my decision.

Plus bullets in Nato green and bright red look really cool.
Uncoated lead bullets don't lead so no need for powder coating for that.

Never found coated bullets to go any faster than non powder coated cast bullets, I shoot some calibre at 2,800 fps with uncoated bullets, no leading and all the accuracy I desire. I couldn't get the powder coated ones to match that with any accuracy.

What other uses has a "powder coated gun"?

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

markie

#18 Post by markie »

A powder coating gun can be used to finish/re-finish any metal object. Powder coat is much harder wearing that aerosol paint and doesn't need priming, although an epoxy polyester primer will extend the life even further. I frequently use powder coat for finishing perforated steel grills on the front of loudspeakers, but it can be used for anything metal.
dromia
Site Admin

#19 Post by dromia »

Sorry I thought you were referring to a powder coating firearm.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

markie

#20 Post by markie »

You're not the first to be confused. Before I left Parker Hale (1980) Roger Hale bought a large quantity of guns from the RUC. They came in 10 of the biggest, strongest cardblard boxed I have ever seen. There was everything from a plank with a steel pipe jubilee clipped to it, to several artillery Lugers, broomhandler Mausers and everything in between. I had the job of cataloguing the whole lot.

They had all been either confiscated, or handed in during the various amnesties. Eack had a tie on label attached with the curcumstances, date etc.

I kid you not, there was one which had been surrendered by Paddy Murphy and it was a HVLP alloy sprayGUN.