Talk to me about guns

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Ovenpaa

Re: Talk to me about guns

#11 Post by Ovenpaa »

Thank you everyone for your thoughts.

For many years I was told rimfires were boring, shooting LSR with a 1930s rifle soon changed that idea and my scruffy BSA Model 15 is one of the few rifles I kept, albeit in storage in the UK. I also have my CG63 target rifle in 6,5x55. Pistol is an option over here, however my understanding is I need to wait two years before I can own one, if indeed I want to. I might just leave that side of things to Christel.

My eye is a bit of a limiting factor, reticles look a bit squiffy to me, but dioptres are perfect, and I can shoot with them so I think that would have to be the path to take.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Itskeith
Home club or Range: Home club

#12 Post by Itskeith »

Hi,

I've only recently started shooting Rimfire NSRA Benchrest (front rest and rifle held to the shoulder) and am loving it. Enjoying the accuracy challenging and competing against myself. Banter at the local club is also good.

Improving my skills which may be useful for other forms of shooting later. But at the moment not getting feeling the 'need' to go off shooting anything centrefire. And if I did, I may well do do some taster days at Bisley more for the experience of having 'done it'.

Could be tempted by rimfire out to 200 yds if I had a range near by.
Could be tempted by air pistol.
Decided to stock to one discipline (for now at least) to help develop some skill and consistency,

Why not go back to what you enjoyed in the past again?
If it partly the 'banter' - why not try all the clubs to find out which has the best 'vibe'.

Best think I have learnt / been told in the last few weeks - is to remember to have fun!

Good luck and good shooting.
Itskeith
Home club or Range: Home club

#13 Post by Itskeith »

Itskeith wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:39 am Hi,

I've only recently started shooting Rimfire NSRA Benchrest (front rest and rifle held to the shoulder) and am loving it. Enjoying the accuracy challenging and competing against myself. Banter at the local club is also good.

Improving my skills which may be useful for other forms of shooting later. But at the moment not getting feeling the 'need' to go off shooting anything centrefire. And if I did, I may well do do some taster days at Bisley more for the experience of having 'done it'.

Could be tempted by rimfire out to 200 yds if I had a range near by.
Could be tempted by air pistol.
Decided to stock to one discipline (for now at least) to help develop some skill and consistency,

Why not go back to what you enjoyed in the past again?
If it partly the 'banter' - why not try all the clubs to find out which has the best 'vibe'.

Best think I have learnt / been told in the last few weeks - is to remember to have fun!

Good luck and good shooting.
Post edit: so why do i keep occasionally popping into a full-bore forum troutslapping
markie
Home club or Range: looe

#14 Post by markie »

I have just gone back to shooting after a 30 year gap. I used to be all about Practical Pistol, and service pistol (RAF regiment) plus all the military rifle comps with an SLR, not the new pop gun.

Having gone back I seem to have slowed down a lot, and I seem to favour older stuff. My first purchase was a Winchester 1890 (.22 pump) which actually dates from 1911. Next came a Winchester 101 scattergun which was made 40+ years ago. Next came a repro Pedersoli Sharps 45/70 and a second generation Colt Navy. The latter is breaking my heart because it was made in 71 and has never been fired. I bought it with the intention of firing it but it looks so beautiful in the box that I haven't had the heart to shoot it yet........... maybe one day.
Mauserbill
Home club or Range: Range

#15 Post by Mauserbill »

Hello
Throw it in a muddy puddle, then clean it, then it won`t bother you to shoot it