Powder for 44mag

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

Powder for 44mag

#1 Post by Mike357 »

I know the question has been asked before but with the volatility of supply and insane pricing at the moment I thought I'd raise this question again.

I shoot 44mag in Gallery Rifle comps and originally started off using Vectan powders but these seem to be no longer available and the last of my GM3 is almost finished. I'm looking for a replacement powder which is readily available and works well in these loads. My local shop has Viht N32C but I've just discovered that it has been discontinued so I'll be in this situation again soon if I use N32C.

What powders are people using for 44mag in GR shooting that are readily available and are producing decent results? What loads are people throwing for 200/240gn RNFP? (Usual caution applied to others recommendations and refernce to manuals)

Thanks.
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!
mag41uk
Home club or Range: Aldershot R & P Club

Re: Powder for 44mag

#2 Post by mag41uk »

Its a shame that the Vectan AS became unavailable. Like wise BA10 - although I have seen it advertised. In stock who knows!
I moved to Maxam CSB5 but that went the same way as AS. Fortunately I have a couple of kg`s left.
I would consider Viht N320 - it is in theory available in 2kg tubs. Or look at Ramshot or Lovex. Lovex is still a decent price.
Or Hodgdon HP38.
bradaz11
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#3 Post by bradaz11 »

I can still get GM3, but I started using A1 and found it much more consistent.

A&A gunsmiths sell it at reasonable prices. go for a day out at the seaside and pick some up
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Mattnall
Home club or Range: NRA, Redricks TSC, BS1944RC, HRA

#4 Post by Mattnall »

I use Bullseye in 44Mag with 200, 220 and 240gn bullets. Works just fine.
I still have a few tubs left and the small amount per shot means I won't need to buy any more for quite some time.
I hope it'll still be available.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Blackstuff

#5 Post by Blackstuff »

THe people who I know who were previously using GM3 have switched to Lovex or Vit N320
DVC
DavidRees
Home club or Range: JSPC; Tayside; NRA

#6 Post by DavidRees »

Viht N320 works for .44Mag, and is available fairly readily. I get slightly better groups with N340 and N350, at the cost of slightly higher grains used per round (N320 load is 80% of my preferred N350 load). For my guns, 750fps with a 240gr LSWC gives excellent accuracy out to 50m -- not tried further, since it is irrelevant for GR.