How to manage the security of a firearm when away from home for 2-3 days and wanting to visit other ranges?

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Itskeith
Home club or Range: Home club

How to manage the security of a firearm when away from home for 2-3 days and wanting to visit other ranges?

#1 Post by Itskeith »

Hi,

I’m still busy here convalescing and reading up as much as I can, which has raised a few questions (to say the least).

Here is one of them that I’m hoping you can help me with. I know this is a bit running before you can walk, but I am curious …

Question: How to manage the security of a firearm when away from home for 2-3 days and wanting to visit other ranges?

It is likely that I will be away from home once a month for 2-3 days, which would give me the option of visiting other ranges between Devon and Yorkshire.

How would you go about securing the firearm when there is no safe where you are staying etc?

Thanks in anticipation,
Keith
Rockhopper

Re: How to manage the security of a firearm when away from home for 2-3 days and wanting to visit other ranges?

#3 Post by Rockhopper »

At the and of the day if something goes wrong you me have to stand up in court and justify your actions. You have to take “reasonable precautions “ to ensure the safety of your firearms. For me at the very minimum that would mean keeping the bolt (or forend of a shotgun) with me when I’m not close to my guns.
Itskeith
Home club or Range: Home club

Re: How to manage the security of a firearm when away from home for 2-3 days and wanting to visit other ranges?

#4 Post by Itskeith »

Thanks Rockhopper and noted.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#5 Post by Blackstuff »

Rockhopper wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:46 am At the and of the day if something goes wrong you me have to stand up in court and justify your actions. You have to take “reasonable precautions “ to ensure the safety of your firearms. For me at the very minimum that would mean keeping the bolt (or forend of a shotgun) with me when I’m not close to my guns.
This. :good: Just imagine yourself being questioned in court and the response you could provide.

Make sure;

The gun is not complete
The ammunition is separate to the gun and not left with it if you leave the gun
Cannot be fired
Cannot be simply picked up and walked off with

I travel around the country with guns more than a few times a year and usually with semi-auto firearms which are a bit more involved to disable. I usually take the bolt/assembly out the gun and keep that on me, if I have a backpack with me I often split the receiver of my AR pattern guns and take one half with me. The rest of the gun gets (steel) cable tied to something solid in the room and kept out of sight (even if that means rearranging the furniture!) A couple of times i've slept in and had to rush out of the hotel without putting the bed and whatnot back where it was, god knows what the housekeeping people thought I was up to! lol

FYI I've often been curious about the 'shotgun foreend' method with O/U or SbS shotguns which is commonly used and with the gun I tested it with, it could still be fired....
DVC
Rockhopper

#6 Post by Rockhopper »

If it was cocked when you took the forend off it would fire but I don’t think I’d want to be holding it when it did! And it’d only fire the once on each barrel unless you could use some kind of tool to recock it. And unless it’s a hammer gun!
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#7 Post by bradaz11 »

Rockhopper wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:24 am If it was cocked when you took the forend off it would fire but I don’t think I’d want to be holding it when it did! And it’d only fire the once on each barrel unless you could use some kind of tool to recock it. And unless it’s a hammer gun!
why wouldn't you want to hold it? as yo say, it only cocks it.

as for the original question, just do what you feel is adequate. nothing in law says it must be locked or separated. just need to show you took reasonable precautions to prevent against loss.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Polchraine

#8 Post by Polchraine »

I take a shotgun or two on trips with me.

The cartrdges sit under the boot liner, fore-end tends to be with me or close by, barrels wrapped up and tucked away behind drawers under a bed, and stock, in the back of a wardrobe ... So, reasonable precautions taken.

Break it down and spread the parts around.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
Rockhopper

#9 Post by Rockhopper »

If I was going to fire the stolen shotgun it’d be easier if I was holding it at the time!
crismaqsood
Home club or Range: NRA

#10 Post by crismaqsood »

I always carry the bolts and ammo with me and secure the rifles as best as I can where I leave them (hide them or tie the with a bicycle lock to a radiator or something sturdy if available).