.36 or .44 for target shooting

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

Re: .36 or .44 for target shooting

#11 Post by Dark Skies »

1066 wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 7:44 pm
Yes. Every now and then you get that one special target. "I'm better when I move."
Sadly, it is just a shoot n see rather than a competition target. I prefer them for practice because once my eye is in I don't like to break my stance to peep through a spotting scope.
[/quote]

Very nice indeed though. Unfortunately I think my "special target" days are well behind me now. I do have one or two nice targets but none very recent.

Here's one from a long time ago I'm pleased with. Shot one hand, open sights, 20 yds on a PL14 with a Browning match 150 with Bowler grips.

[/quote]

Nicely shot.
To be honest I hover around the 79 > 87 mark for the most part. But every now and then everything comes together, and I get a high 90 with the odd possible on the side. And you can bet I take a photo of that! :)
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
NBW

#12 Post by NBW »

Thanks very much for the replies everyone, some very interesting stuff.
I’ve been involved in target shooting since the 1970’s and tried most disciplines.
Never got round to black powder pistol until recently. I’m now totally hooked and trying to make up for lost time.
John Gunn
Home club or Range: Bisley

#13 Post by John Gunn »

Wonderful groups, looks like I'll have to practice more. I have a .40 cal Greathead underhammer now.
Best score I ever got with my Browning International was 96
Site Supporter Since 2015

#14 Post by 1066 »

The Greathead is a fine shooting pistol. I remember shooting a .32 version many years ago and was very impressed, it pointed well, good trigger, long sight base. The only downside for me was the grip, although in keeping with the general style of the pistol, it never felt comfortable.

My Browning Match 150 with a Bowler grip shot very well - for some reason I replaced it with a Britarms 2000, although I have no complaints, I could never shooting it any better than the Browning.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
DaveB
Home club or Range: Wellington Service Rifle Assocaition; NZ Deerstalkers Association; Wairarapa Pistol & Shooting Sports Club

#15 Post by DaveB »

I have three revolvers in .36 calibre. Having watched many shoots over the years, I don't think either calibre has an inherent accuracy advantage, all other things (properly sized projectiles, etc.). The advantage .36 will always have over .44 is the reduced propellant charge which means more shots per pound.