20” or 16” barrel for TP and MT.

All types of competitive shooting including Bell Target, MR TR F/TR F Open, GR, Small Bore and BR

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
This section is for people who shoot or want to shoot in competitions and includes future events, how to get started, choice of rifle and calibres including wildcats, how to prepare for your competition, and of course how you did!
nagantino

20” or 16” barrel for TP and MT.

#1 Post by nagantino »

I’m going to buy a lever action rifle for TP and MT competition. I don’t want an octagonal barrel as I find them heavy, but I can’t make my mind up about the length of barrel….16”or 20”. I see some commentators saying that 10 rounds are required in certain competitions but I’ve never come across this. That means that a 16” barrel is out. Anyone care to give an opinion?
mag41uk
Home club or Range: Aldershot R & P Club

Re: 20” or 16” barrel for TP and MT.

#2 Post by mag41uk »

I cant think of any GR events that need more than 6 in the magazine.
Download the GR handbook off the NRA website.
Mattnall
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#3 Post by Mattnall »

The Gallery Rifle E-League has 10 round stages for CF regularly. With care 9+1 on (.38 and .44) special cartridges usually does the trick on short Marlins which usually only take 8 or 9 rounds.

But most GRCF comps are 5 or 6 rounds as the are usually direct copies of, or slightly modified, pistol practices that needed to cater for revolvers.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
nagantino

#4 Post by nagantino »

Thanks for the reply’s. I cannot find, of course, where folk have told me that 10 shot Gallery Rifle comps exist. I’ve bought the 20” model Rossi so that solves that. E-League is new to me so maybe I have that to look forward to.