Air rifles in LSR competitions

All types of competitive shooting including Bell Target, MR TR F/TR F Open, GR, Small Bore and BR

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
This section is for people who shoot or want to shoot in competitions and includes future events, how to get started, choice of rifle and calibres including wildcats, how to prepare for your competition, and of course how you did!
paul mercer
Home club or Range: Tavistock Miniature rifle club

Air rifles in LSR competitions

#1 Post by paul mercer »

A question that came up in the club a few days ago.
Given some the phenomenal scores being put up with modern .177 air rifles in LSR competitions, some of which are barely matched by a .22 rimfire even with those who are very good shots with customised rifles, should there be separate LSR competitions for them and keep the original plan for LSR with .22 rimfire rifles ?
This is not a 'sour grapes' post as my scores have never troubled the top or even the middle of the score cards and would be unlikely to do so even if I had an air rifle!
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Air rifles in LSR competitions

#2 Post by 1066 »

Interesting question Paul, like you, academic interest only for me too. You are right, the last few years has seen a terrific upsurge in interest in airgun target shooting. Until fairly recently, airguns and target shooting were mainly fixed on the very exacting 10m disciplines with high spec, expensive recoilless 6ftlb rifles and pistols. However, with the ever increasing difficulties associated with FAC's, increasing cost, range availability etc. coupled with the huge increase in popularity of Field Target airgun shooting and the continued development of accurate, affordable 12ftlb air rifles they are being seen in direct competition with rimfire's more regularly.

One of the "difficulties" when shooing air/rim in the same discipline is how do you score the cards. When shooting air benchrest in our local Kent league the cards are all scored (Worst edge) with a .22 gauge whether shot with a .177 or .22.

On the whole, I think they should be separated - especially for short range competitions. The accuracy of the .22 target rifle/ammunition has not improved in 50 years, on the other hand accuracy, development, innovation, of modern PCP airguns is improving year on year.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#3 Post by Mattnall »

1066 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:07 am One of the "difficulties" when shooing air/rim in the same discipline is how do you score the cards. When shooting air benchrest in our local Kent league the cards are all scored (Worst edge) with a .22 gauge whether shot with a .177 or .22.
I think this is good. It rewards the same accuracy no matter what calibre you are using. Take GRCF, the shot is gauged with the calibre you shot, so the same accuracy (centre of the hole/bullet) is rewarded differently and if you shoot a smaller calibre there is a penalty on inward gauged marking or an advantage if you shoot outward gauged scoring, compared to if you shoot centre gauging.
Some claim a recoil (dis)advantage to shooting different calibres but with GR rifles there is not much if any difference and reloading to suit negates any disadvantage. Perhaps with pistol shooting it does make a difference (a bit like major/minor calibre class).
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Graham M

#4 Post by Graham M »

I thought that there was a special gauge for .177 that had a ring to make up for the smaller hole.
https://www.nsrashop.co.uk/products/nsr ... 1001187023
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Site Supporter Since 2015

#5 Post by 1066 »

Graham M wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:10 pm I thought that there was a special gauge for .177 that had a ring to make up for the smaller hole.
https://www.nsrashop.co.uk/products/nsr ... 1001187023
Yes indeed..
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
paul mercer
Home club or Range: Tavistock Miniature rifle club

#6 Post by paul mercer »

Thanks for your replies,
On reflection, I wonder if it would be rather unkind to actually ban air rifles from rimfire LSR and to have a separate competition for them as it would make a lot of extra work for a club to organize two shoots and it might have the effect of making air rifle owners feel unwelcome.
Perhaps the answer might be to continue to allow them to compete alongside rimfires, but have separate awards for the winners, one for rimfire and the other for air rifle, that way both can compete in the same competition with a chance of winning a prize without actually shooting against each other.