Old telescope.

Somewhere to share your tales, anecdotes and memories from past days.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Please remember to respect the copyright of the author. Please do not post content from this section elsewhere without the specific permission of the author.
PeterN

Old telescope.

#1 Post by PeterN »

This has been hanging in the club armoury for decades, presumably left and forgotten by a long departed member. We have a current member who was a member in the early 1970s and he does not know how it came to be there or any of its history. It is a Negretti and Zambra “McLeod” model telescope. This dates from the late 19th to early 20th century. It has seen a hard life as the draw tubes have a lot of dents and dings and consequently is a little stiff to open. It is engraved with the name of the owner, Capt. Harrison Ballantyne. The optics are quite good but there is a small chip at the edge of the objective lens where it has taken a knock. I wonder where it got its knocks and bruises and what Captain Ballantyne saw through it?
I have been looking to see if I can find anything about Captain Ballantyne. The case is stamped with the initials GHB. I have come up with a George Harrison Ballantyne. There are quite a few George Ballantynes but I only found one G. Ballantyne with a middle name Harrison. He was born on 5th June 1885 and died on 6th March 1920 at the age of 34. This Ballantyne family owned the March Street Mills in Peebles.
He appears in the Peebles Beltane Festival where G Harrison Ballantyne is listed as being Cornet in 1913. There are a few newspaper articles in the period prior to WW1 where he features as a performer in local concerts and musical events with his wife whom he married in 1910. In most of the entries, he is referred to as G. Harrison Ballantyne. Perhaps he didn’t like his first name and preferred to be known by his second name, who knows?
He was in the London Gazette April 20 1906 page 2749 as being made a Second Lieutenant in the 6th Volunteer Battalion, The Royal Scots (Lothian Regiment) on 11th April 1906.
He next appears in the December 15 1908 edition page 9563 being appointed to the 8th Battalion from the 6th Volunteer Battalion 1st April 1908.
He next appears in the March 21 1911 page 2336 as importing some dogs on 11th March 1911.
The next London Gazette entry I can find is in the issue dated June 22 1915 page 6032. It lists Captain George Harrison Ballantyne being transferred from the 8th Battalion Royal Scots (Lothian Regiment) to 7th (Fife) Battalion, The Black Watch (Royal Highlanders) to be Captain (temporary) and Adjutant 10th May 1915. I haven't found any other entries but that doesn't mean there aren't any. His Regiment left for France from Haddington on 2nd November 1914. I found a brief reference to him being invalided home but not any details. I found a newspaper advert in 1919 in which his wife was seeking to employ a nurse, to care for Captain Ballantyne or another reason, I don’t know. He died a few months later.
I think this must be our man as there cannot be many G Harrison Ballantynes about. Being a Scotsman may account for the telescope as it would be the very thing to be used in deer stalking. The McLeod model name on the telescope hints at a Scottish connection and the telescope dates from this period. Being engraved with the Captain rank, perhaps he bought it during or after WW1 or he may have had it before the war and had it engraved to show that it was his so some light fingered fellow soldier could not claim it as his own. If he was wounded, perhaps it went missing from his kit and another soldier brought it home and kept it?
All the above may be about the wrong person but it seems to fit. If anyone else wants to do some research, please do so. Some information is behind pay walls. I found his death certificate, but you can’t read it but you can buy a copy for £12. That would tell us what he died of, wounds in France or hit by a bus in Peebles?
Now, how this came to be hanging on the wall of a gun club armoury in North Yorkshire decades later is a mystery. If only it could talk.
Scope and case.jpg
Scope extended.jpg
Scope inscription.jpg
Regards
Peter.
PeterN

Re: Old telescope.

#2 Post by PeterN »

The telescope model name.
Scope model name.jpg
Regards
Peter.
Site Supporter Since 2015

#3 Post by 1066 »

When I started shooting smallbore prone in the 1960 with Uckfield Home Guard RC, most of out spotting scopes were draw tube scopes just like that. The tripods were also ex WD with a couple of spring straps to hold the scope in place. Not unusual to find a few still kicking about old long established clubs I would think.

Interesting to pin it down to a specific owner though.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
redcat
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Teesdale P&R Club.

#4 Post by redcat »

Well done on doing the research on that. Always interesting what you may find. Years ago I bought an old Colt 1851 Navy revolver with a name and regiment engraved on the back strap. I paid a researcher to look it up and got lots of information, including a photocopy of a hand wrtiiten letter from the soldier's mother to the Duke of Wellington. She was asking if she could buy her son a commission and the reply from the Duke's office came back quoting a price of £450 - a lot of money in those days.

Redcat
If you think you are a person of some importance, try ordering someone else's dog around.