Rebarrel mosin nagant

If you are making it or modifying it, repairing it or restoring it, it goes in here.

Moderator: dromia

Asgard
Home club or Range: Valley Arms gun club, Ruthin Rifle club, 3 Stags shooting society

Rebarrel mosin nagant

#1 Post by Asgard »

Hi all, I have a poor mosin nagant M44 with a very bad bore. I am looking to change the barrel for it to involve the new receiver/barrel in a new project. Could any point me to the smith that would change a mosin barrel?
Thanks, Bogdan
The lion cannot protect himself from traps, and the fox cannot defend himself from wolves. One must therefore be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves.
Niccola Machiavelli
andrew375

Re: Rebarrel mosin nagant

#2 Post by andrew375 »

The only company I found offering to re-barrel mosin's is Peter Sarony. The quote he gave me was for over £1300, this is for a newly manufactured barrel. As much as I love my Mosin I think I'll have it deactivated and take my borescope along when I buy another. I significant part of the cost is to do with machining the rear sight base which is part of the barrel.
"Consciousness is a lie your brain tells you to make you think you know what you are doing." Professor Maria Goncalves.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. George Orwell.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#3 Post by Alpha1 »

I believe the rear site base is pinned in and would just be removed from the original barrel and transfered to the new barrel. But I might be wrong. £1300 for a new barrel is stupid obviously the Gun is not worth that. Bin it and buy a new one but make sure you check the barrel condition before you part with any money.
Dellboy
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

#4 Post by Dellboy »

Ammozone or their sister company are doing some weird re barrels dont know if they are any good though ..
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.

Dellboy
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

#5 Post by Dellboy »

2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.

andrew375

#6 Post by andrew375 »

Alpha1 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:13 am I believe the rear site base is pinned in and would just be removed from the original barrel and transfered to the new barrel. But I might be wrong. £1300 for a new barrel is stupid obviously the Gun is not worth that. Bin it and buy a new one but make sure you check the barrel condition before you part with any money.
Correct, the actual rear sight unit is pinned on, but it goes into a longitudinal dovetail cut into a block that is part of the barrel. It looks like this part of the barrel was drop forged to create the "hump" . It looks like Peter Sarony is starting with an over size blank and machining away a lot of metal to leave the "hump" behind. Obviously, not only does this require a lot of machine time but also complexity due to needing the sight base correctly orientated when the barrel is fitted up.

My way would be to chop out the portion of the original barrel with the rear sight mount and bore it out to a thin walled sleeve and, after fitting the barrel to the receiver, press and fix it in place onto the new barrel. This is how Mauser rear sights are attached to the barrel and is one reason why re-barreling Mausers is a much easier to do.
"Consciousness is a lie your brain tells you to make you think you know what you are doing." Professor Maria Goncalves.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. George Orwell.
Alpha1

#7 Post by Alpha1 »

:good:
Asgard
Home club or Range: Valley Arms gun club, Ruthin Rifle club, 3 Stags shooting society

#8 Post by Asgard »

Hi all and thank you for your answers.
I have had it with C&G for a year.. The sister of ammo one and Chris sai he had no time to touch it in 1year.
I will try the above, I do not need the sights.. I want to put it in a tactical stock.
The lion cannot protect himself from traps, and the fox cannot defend himself from wolves. One must therefore be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves.
Niccola Machiavelli
Alpha1

#9 Post by Alpha1 »

If you are not bothered about the rear sight it should be a straight forward barrel swop and definatelly should not take a year to sort out. I dont know were you are located but try a Google or Facebook search for Jager sporting arms he is fitting ZPV barrels at a very reasonable price.
Asgard

#10 Post by Asgard »

Thank you
Niccola Machiavelli