New material for cases? Last forever?

If you are making it or modifying it, repairing it or restoring it, it goes in here.

Moderator: dromia

Shpagin

Re: New material for cases? Last forever?

#11 Post by Shpagin »

is paper still used, as it was back in the day; like could they use pulp?
Rookandrabbit

#12 Post by Rookandrabbit »

I know paper was used to contain pre weighted powder and ball charges for muzzleloaders I know that paper or waxed card is used in shotgun cartridges. I have even seen all brass cartridges which had a card insert containing the powder wad and shot from calibres .297/230 right up to 10 bore. I have not seen any larger calibre ones but that does not mean that they don’t exist.
I would think that it would be very difficult to make a metal based bottlenecked paper cartridge to fire and extract without splitting and pieces remaining in the chamber. I know the .577 snider case had an iron base and card outer in its earliest form.Again straight walled cartridges maybe lined with metal foil possibly , but cartridge development went from combustible skin to paper to wrapped foil to brass cases.
I never liked the steel cased ammo mate had some for his Mosin nagant rifle but it just was not aesthetically pleasing and if you collect cases just does not look right……….just my thoughts
Shpagin

#13 Post by Shpagin »

Graham M wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:34 pm But I have to trim my brass every so often as it grows with every firing. Surely after a while it will begin to grow so thin it will fail??????
Thanks Graham. I am new here so can't message.

Incidentally, I did read once about a chap who made cartridges out of MDPE pipe inserts (plumbing product) with a primer from a starting pistol cap inserted in the base. May not be relevant, but you reminded me of it.