HPBT to FMJ loading

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
ruger_steve
Home club or Range: Bisley

HPBT to FMJ loading

#1 Post by ruger_steve »

Hi all.

I used to reload either Sierra or Lapua Scenar HPBT... usually around 175gr. However with the price increases I have come across some PPU that I would like to try. Specifically 30 cal (.308) FMJ BT 174gr PPU Prvi Partizan Bullets Pack 100 which come in at half the price. However I cannot find any reloading data for these FMJ bullets and having only focused on one type of bullet previously (HPBT) I'm not totally sure what to compare it to in the manual being an FMJ.

I can't see any similar sounding rounds in my Lymans manual so wondered if anyone could give some advice on what could be similar that I would be able to get the data for. I have a new tub of Vihtavuori N140 itching to go.

All advice welcomed. Thanks,
Steve
phaedra1106

Re: HPBT to FMJ loading

#2 Post by phaedra1106 »

Firstly be prepared for a drop in performance, the PPU are nowhere near the quality or consistency of Sierra or Lapua bullets.

As for price, Kranks list both the 174 & 175gr PPU at £31/100, that's only about £9/100 less than you can get the 167 Lapua Scenars for.

As for load data the usal advice is use the powder manufacturers data, for Viht it's here, https://www.vihtavuori.com/reloading-da ... reloading/

Start using the lowest load and work your way up slowly while checking for signs of pressure.
There's room for all Gods creatures, next to the mash and gravy :)
ruger_steve

#3 Post by ruger_steve »

Thanks for your reply.

I used to pay £40 for my Lapua but can't see them anywhere south of £48. Where abouts did you see them for £40? I did look but can't find them.

Also with regards to the load data... I do have the Vit list but don't show FMJ data. Would it be the same (or at least similar) as the HPBT data? As long as it's a similar weight?

Thanks again.
phaedra1106

#4 Post by phaedra1106 »

There will be very little difference in load data, but as always start at the minimum charge weight.

MBR Sporting Bullets have the 167 Scenars listed at £40/100 https://www.m-b-r.co.uk/HTML/bullet_prices.php
There's room for all Gods creatures, next to the mash and gravy :)
ruger_steve

#5 Post by ruger_steve »

Legend. 🙏🏻 Thank you. I'll get those instead. Better to work with what you know.
hitchphil
Home club or Range: Bisley - Mostly

#6 Post by hitchphil »

You can grade lower quality bullets - ist a bit time consuming but you: buy a bit more - weigh & measure length / diameter or a consistent ojive point & group them - you will end up with some outliers (long/short/light/heavy etc) & then batches of bullets with similar length vs weight etc if you make rounds in batches you should see a more consistent performance. Zero differences between batches will be small & generally within the target, so not really affect basic zero unless at long range, the dross you use as barrel warmers, running in or just fun / basic zeroing, or dont load them just donate them on.

I did this with Eley Club 22 - headspace vs weight, the graded consistent head space (rim thickness) & weight shot better than Match & almost as good as Tenx but at less cost - but it was laborious to do. All the too light heavy or thin / thick became barrel warming shots they were about 13% of the 1000 rnds. The rest were split into 2 batches by weight. The heavier used at 100yds - cant say that improved my 100yds but it helped my head & I did ok.

How i did it - i had a printers block wooden box 10x10 so labeled them across by weight & down by head space & just dropped them in the relevant slot (& when in 50s back in their poly boxes)- they accumulated like a hill - the stuff in the middle is best then the next surrounding & the outside last / lowest quality & the corners the worst.
Quality control of Scottish Ethanol. & RDX/HMX

& my fav chemical is :-) 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine.......... used to kill frogs.... but widely consumed & in vast quantities by the French? Eh?
Strangely Brown
Home club or Range: NRA

#7 Post by Strangely Brown »

phaedra1106 wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:58 pm Firstly be prepared for a drop in performance, the PPU are nowhere near the quality or consistency of Sierra or Lapua bullets.
In my experience there is an exception to this; the 174gr .311 for .303 British performs as well as the Sierra MK out to 500 yards in my No.4 SR"b" rifle.
I have yet to do a side by side comparison at 600 but a couple of people have put the Sierra ahead at this distance.
I wont deny that the Sierra looks/is the better constructed bullet!
Mick