Improvised gun security

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Itskeith
Home club or Range: Home club

Re: Improvised gun security

#11 Post by Itskeith »

Alpha1 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:29 am So you are staying away from home you have the Guns with you so you are some were you expect to use them. I would expect that Gun storage would be available. A scenario really get a life.
No idea what the bit in red means.
Certainly not helpful. Probably argumentative. Possibly worth an explanation or an apology?
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#12 Post by Alpha1 »

So you are staying away from home you have the Guns with you so you are some were you expect to use them. I would expect that Gun storage would be available. A scenario really get a life.
channel12
Home club or Range: WNSC

#13 Post by channel12 »

How many MoD/Landmarc ranges have secure storage on-site and how many local RFD's would open up for you at 6am/7am for you to be at the range for a range brief?
hitchphil
Home club or Range: Bisley - Mostly

#14 Post by hitchphil »

Tallguy wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:55 pm
Alpha1 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:29 am So you are staying away from home you have the Guns with you so you are some were you expect to use them. I would expect that Gun storage would be available. A scenario really get a life.
Well I stay at my Mum’s and she doesn’t have a gun box! The place I am expecting to shoot May well have storage available but I posted looking for ideas when that storage may not be available.
I think what Alpha is saying is 'its not a scenario'; its an actuality, it happens, is normal, isn't special etc so just do what people do. NB you can't just surrender firearm to some store - a hotel will have some approval for its store. If not a member of a club you can't just deposit it in their armoury... legally... in practice yes, but if you dont have right of access, are not a member then you might be breaking a HO Approved club requirement.

Do what most do - keep it secret (got a guitar case?) thats the most effective thing, keep ammo, bolt, gun separate, secure what you practicably can - ammo in a cash box padlocked to something? gun locked out of sight, car alarmed etc, bolt in pocket or briefcase (I have a long U hasp padlock fits up the action & out the loading port.... but that wont work on a No4!) read the security advice Pt7 from :-

Another point might be - If you are going to be a firearms certificate holder? you need to read the Firearms Act & have a basic understanding of it & maybe know where to find it if needs to refer? If you are going to be a target shooter you need to have read the HO requirements for approved clubs & if you are going to store/transport a firearm/ammo then have read the security handbook above. Then ask in network or forums if you are not sure, or dont understand - not use them as a substitute for not reading them because you haven't taken the time to familiarise yourself? They are all on the internet & google found the security one with 2 words.

Police just love ignorance wrt firearms, so my advice is get clued up & ensure you can respond to "do you think you took all practicable steps to secure your firearm" if it gets nicked.
Quality control of Scottish Ethanol. & RDX/HMX

& my fav chemical is :-) 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine.......... used to kill frogs.... but widely consumed & in vast quantities by the French? Eh?
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#15 Post by Mattnall »

I think HitchPhil has it right in that Alpha meant the sitution is not as dramatic as the word 'scenario' seems to imply.

I do this all the time, take firearms away for trips, and even though I may be using them one or two days, I may stay a few days more. In this case I usually just remove bolt(s) and/or fore ends and keep the firearms out of sight, AirBnB is fine but some motels and hotels will refuse you to bring them in if you ask (so don't ask) but some rural locations may have safe storage available, just bring your own gun lock to separate your rifles or guns from anyone else's in there. During the day I take the firearms with me in the car and keep them out of sight and locked, bolts or fore ends on my person.
Most shooting days involve getting up at stupid o'clock and to get an RFD or club official to open up their armoury at that time is most likely more than a big ask.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#16 Post by bradaz11 »

do you trust your mum? is she going to run amok with your guns if she can get near them? I doubt it, or you wouldn't go there with them in the first place. so if she isn't going to fiddle, and no one else knows they are there, wheres your risk? just throw them by the bed and stop worrying.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#17 Post by Blackstuff »

bradaz11 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:18 pm do you trust your mum? is she going to run amok with your guns if she can get near them? I doubt it, or you wouldn't go there with them in the first place. so if she isn't going to fiddle, and no one else knows they are there, wheres your risk? just throw them by the bed and stop worrying.
Someone without a certificate doesn't need to run amok to commit offences with a firearm though. If the police/CPS want to be A-holes you could leave yourself wide open having them unsecured/in working order in someone elses property whether you know/trust them or not, IMO.
DVC
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#18 Post by Dark Skies »

Next time you're in the US, pop over to Cabela's and get one of their Xtreme Lite armored rifle cases.

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cabelas ... g-gun-case

I have one and they're' excellent. Mine has a very solid reinforced padlock hole at each end and in the middle. You're not going to get in even if you happen to have a crowbar in your pocket. The handles are reinforced and mounted on steel pins. Four matching padlocks and a chain to loop around something solid should easily cover the reasonable care to secure angle.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."