Primer explosive content calculation

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
mag41uk
Home club or Range: Aldershot R & P Club

Primer explosive content calculation

#1 Post by mag41uk »

Somewhere in guidance there the calculation to work out the theoretical explosive content of a primer.
I cant find it.
Its something like 0.0142 gns per primer.
Does anyone know what it is?

Thanks.
The Gun Pimp

Re: Primer explosive content calculation

#2 Post by The Gun Pimp »

Many years ago (the now defunct) Precision Shooting magazine did a test on this very subject - complete with photographs of the 'flash' produced by each primer. The only bit I can remember is that Federal primers added the least to the effect of the powder charge.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

Bit off topic however if you do want to know about the ignition characteristics of primers I did this 10 off years ago. The action was a prototype aluminium job we built and the cartridge was .308 Winchester.

https://shootingshed.co.uk/wp/2012/12/c ... n-testing/
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#4 Post by Pete »

There's a bit about this topic in "The Benchrest Shooting Primer published by Precision Shooting Inc., ISBN no 13:978-0-9670948-7-8, page 131 "Primer Tests" by Steve Chernicky.
There are some interesting pics of the actual point of detonation showing the flame shape/size.

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
Peter Leigh
Home club or Range: chepstow Rifle Club

#5 Post by Peter Leigh »

Many years ago we were asked to do some basic heat energy/ joules measurements on some rifles primers....results are long gone. But if I remember, results were not what you would expect...ie a magnum primers heat output was the same as a standard primer. I wonder if thats still true now?
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#6 Post by dromia »

It was always an ammunition fallacy and myth, like lead bullets must be hard, that magnum primers work by burning hotter.

Magnum primers burn longer, that is what makes them Magnum and helps ignite slow burning and or compressed powder.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
mag41uk
Home club or Range: Aldershot R & P Club

#7 Post by mag41uk »

Thanks for the replies. Maybe I didnt word the Q correctly.
I was looking for the "sum" to work out primer explosive weight content as part of NEQ`s.
I found it in the 2014 Explosives Regulations.
"Note: Ammunition net mass is calculated by the weight of powder and the explosive content of the
primer that is used. As an accepted rule, 0.8 of a grain is allocated as the explosive content of any small
arms primer/percussion cap."