Can you enter ‘6mm / 6.5mm’ on your FAC?

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Itskeith
Home club or Range: Home club

Can you enter ‘6mm / 6.5mm’ on your FAC?

#1 Post by Itskeith »

Hi everyone.

I’m still hoping to visit a shooting club before Christmas after we have moved to the South West.

I’m still busy here convalescing and reading up as much as I can, which has raised a few questions (to say the least). Here is one of them that I’m hoping you can help me with. I know this is a bit like running before you can walk, but I am curious …

Question: Can you enter ‘6mm / 6.5mm’ on your FAC?

i.e. you'd like to buy only one of them but don't know which until you have more experience shooting both.

Or is this not allowed as they are different calibres?

If not, I guess you just choose one and then apply to get it changed at a later date if needed?

Also:
Does a 'vague' entry of 6.5mm then allow you a choice of any 6.5mm. E.g. 6.55 x 55 Swedish, 6.5 x 47 Lapula, 6.5mm Grendel, 6.5mm Creedmore and 6.5mm Dasher etc.

Thanks in anticipation,
Keith
The Gun Pimp

Re: Can you enter ‘6mm / 6.5mm’ on your FAC?

#2 Post by The Gun Pimp »

Although the application form says "calibre' most police forces require the actual cartridge to be specified. It's a bit daft but that's the way it works.
micken
Home club or Range: Yorkshire Shooting Centre, Huddersfield

#3 Post by micken »

Itskeith wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:07 pm Or is this not allowed as they are different calibres?
^ Exactly this.

When I applied for centrefire calibres I knew that I had good reason for a .223, a 6.5mm and a .308 and that's what I wrote. I knew that the .223 was going to be .223Rem and the .308 a .308Win but I was undecided about the chambering for the 6.5mm. I got what I applied for, the three slots were listed as calibres.
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#4 Post by Mattnall »

As above, the broad 'calibre range' of days past shouldn't have been allowed and the HO have directed FLDs to toe the line and not do this. They still tend to put .22RF instead of the cartridge size and a few other sizes are conveniently left as just the cal but it should be cartridge size only.

However, if you put 6mm and get it and later decide you want a 6.5 instead just put in a variation.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

#5 Post by WelshShooter »

The only instance I've seen of listing "two calibres as one" is when both can be used interchangeably with the same rifle. This can include the following, non-exhaustive situations:

38spl /357mag
44spl/44mag
7.62/308win
5.56/223rem

You get the idea! With regards to using a single "6.5mm" to cover different calibres, you can ask you issuing police force for advice on this. I don't think you can go wrong with 6.5 SWE, 6.5 Lapua or 6.5 Creedmoor, it will just depend on what rifle you have in mind (eg there's lots of factory rifles in 6.5 CM and SWE but most 6.5 Lapua rifles will be a custom request,and I'm speaking as a 6.5 Lapua owner).
Itskeith
Home club or Range: Home club

#6 Post by Itskeith »

Thanks for the replies everyone and very helpful.

Though having just read and become aware of the 'Proposed HSE Lead ban' the thoughts of a new hobby and buying a large safe / filling it with lots of 'goodies' is going to need some serious consideration.
micken
Home club or Range: Yorkshire Shooting Centre, Huddersfield

#7 Post by micken »

Itskeith wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:09 pm Thanks for the replies everyone and very helpful.

Though having just read and become aware of the 'Proposed HSE Lead ban' the thoughts of a new hobby and buying a large safe / filling it with lots of 'goodies' is going to need some serious consideration.
Just plan forward, in most, if not all cases, a tighter twist rate for the calibre should stabilise the longer non-toxic projectiles. Do the research and ask relevant questions, there's loads of practical experience building up.
J4mes
Home club or Range: Classified

#8 Post by J4mes »

I was instructed in 2018 to put 7.62/.308 on my application and buy any variation of it - I bought a 7.62x39.