Ambidextrous F Class Rifle

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

Ambidextrous F Class Rifle

#1 Post by Pippin89 »

Hi all. My club is looking to start shooting F Class and in the near future would like to look at getting a rifle for club members to use.
I was wondering if anyone knew if it was possible to get an ambidextrous F class stock. As this will be a starter rifle and is not our clubs main discipline we wouldn't have the budget for a Dolphin build or similar. Maybe £1500 or so for the complete rifle.

To begin with we are putting a bipod on one of our fullbore TR rifles and leaving the open sights on it to get started but if it proves popular will look at getting a dedicated rifle in maybe 6 months to a year's time.
It would be really handy if it was ambidextrous though as we have left and right hand shooters interested.

Any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks all.
The Gun Pimp

Re: Ambidextrous F Class Rifle

#2 Post by The Gun Pimp »

To be honest - with a rested rifle (bi-pod and back bag) lefties won't have a problem with a RH action.

In fact, I built my tactical rig as a 'lefty' even though I'm right handed - operate the bolt with your left hand, feed or change mags with left hand and the right hand never leaves the trigger.
dta europe

#3 Post by dta europe »

There is a monster bargain for sale on UKV. Its a little outside of your budget but would be perfect and NEVER need upgrading.

https://ukvarminting.com/topic/57534-cu ... a-model-k/
channel12
Home club or Range: WNSC

#4 Post by channel12 »

The usual problem for a left hander shooting a right handed rifle isn't the manipulation of the bolt if the fore end is supported. What does create a problem is the stock and pistol grip on a "target" rifle is optimised for shooting right handed and a left hander won't get a proper cheek weld (speak from experience as somebody with impaired vision in my right eye).
The Gun Pimp

#5 Post by The Gun Pimp »

Channel12 - as an F Class rifle is rested front and rear - no need for a cheek-weld or 'death' grip on the pistol grip. Totally different to Target Rifle. More like a benchrest set-up. (F Class was initially dubbed 'belly benchrest') You'll never see a raised cheek-piece on a benchgun.
Pippin89

#6 Post by Pippin89 »

channel12 wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:13 am The usual problem for a left hander shooting a right handed rifle isn't the manipulation of the bolt if the fore end is supported. What does create a problem is the stock and pistol grip on a "target" rifle is optimised for shooting right handed and a left hander won't get a proper cheek weld (speak from experience as somebody with impaired vision in my right eye).
Yes this is the problem we are having. While its possible for a lefty to shoot a right handed rifle, it won't be possible to get them in a good position.
The Gun Pimp wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:32 am Channel12 - as an F Class rifle is rested front and rear - no need for a cheek-weld or 'death' grip on the pistol grip. Totally different to Target Rifle. More like a benchrest set-up. (F Class was initially dubbed 'belly benchrest') You'll never see a raised cheek-piece on a benchgun.
Understand your point but I'm afraid I don't fully agree. A properly adjusted cheek rest is important for consistently aligning your eye with the scope. And a correct handed pistol grip is useful for comfort firing. The guys and gals firing this will all be trained TR shooters, so fitment is very important to us! lol
dta europe wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:47 pm There is a monster bargain for sale on UKV. Its a little outside of your budget but would be perfect and NEVER need upgrading.

https://ukvarminting.com/topic/57534-cu ... a-model-k/
That is a bargain! Tempted by that myself. haha
Graham M

#7 Post by Graham M »

Pippin89 wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:37 am Understand your point but I'm afraid I don't fully agree. A properly adjusted cheek rest is important for consistently aligning your eye with the scope. And a correct handed pistol grip is useful for comfort firing. The guys and gals firing this will all be trained TR shooters, so fitment is very important to us! lol
Absolutely. I have been having a little trouble keeping my eye behind the rear sight on my Anschutz. I shoot with quite a bit of cant and despite adjusting the butt hook I just kept on finding myself having to tilt my head to see through the aperture. Turned out that the cheekpiece was 3mm too high and was pushing my face over too much due to the cant of the rifle. Cheek weld is crucial in my opinion. :good:
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Pippin89

#8 Post by Pippin89 »

Graham M wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:50 am
Pippin89 wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:37 am Understand your point but I'm afraid I don't fully agree. A properly adjusted cheek rest is important for consistently aligning your eye with the scope. And a correct handed pistol grip is useful for comfort firing. The guys and gals firing this will all be trained TR shooters, so fitment is very important to us! lol
Absolutely. I have been having a little trouble keeping my eye behind the rear sight on my Anschutz. I shoot with quite a bit of cant and despite adjusting the butt hook I just kept on finding myself having to tilt my head to see through the aperture. Turned out that the cheekpiece was 3mm too high and was pushing my face over too much due to the cant of the rifle. Cheek weld is crucial in my opinion. :good:
I had a problem with my BR rifle to begin with that I was having to hover over the cheek rest to get my eye directly behind the scope. Its virtually impossible (for me at least) to shoot like that. Adding some material to the cheek rest and its gold now.