Enfield Percussion Rifles At Auction

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

lincolnjeffries
Home club or Range: none

Enfield Percussion Rifles At Auction

#1 Post by lincolnjeffries »

Recently saw some reasonably priced original Enfield P53 type rifes sell at auction. Do these invariably have poor bores ? Just wondering what forum members experiences have been of buying rifles "blind" so to speak. Does a fairly well looked after exterior suggest a cleaned bore the last time the rifle was used, nor not......As I suspect would be the case :-)
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: Enfield Percussion Rifles At Auction

#2 Post by dromia »

Buying blind at auction is a complete lottery.

I used to use auctions a lot and always inspected before bidding, some that looked good on line or in the catalogue were disasters 'pon inspection and others that didn't look worth a bid were fine 'pon inspection.

Unless your money is unimportant to you then bid away and take the risk.

People no doubt will tell you of their good buys unseen at auction but for every one of them there will but at least two unhappy purchasers, who will be less likely to share their misfortune.

Caveat emptor!

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Mauserbill
Home club or Range: Range

#3 Post by Mauserbill »

Hello
They are not placed in an auction house for no reason ! usually with all fees and buyers premiums they often turn out to be not such an economical option.
Unless you know what you are looking for and live close enough to make an inspection "leave" but its like buying any firearm remotely using rfd to rfd, the buyer takes a leap of faith. and as I have found to my cost not all sellers give accurate information...............
Caveat emptor
lincolnjeffries
Home club or Range: none

#4 Post by lincolnjeffries »

Caveat emptor....yes never a truer word said