Right shoulder left eye shooting

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Ovenpaa

Right shoulder left eye shooting

#1 Post by Ovenpaa »

Is anyone shooting left eye right shoulder for target or vermin? I have done a fair amount of damage to my right (Dominant) eye, as has a friend and we were discussing offset sight brackets yesterday evening as we are both missing our shooting. Something like below.

Thoughts anyone?
Offset.PNG
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
dodgyrog
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

Re: Right shoulder left eye shooting

#2 Post by dodgyrog »

I knew a guy who shot a shotgun with a cross eye stock - weird looking thing but ihe shot well with it.
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
Alpha1

#3 Post by Alpha1 »

I would be more concerned about re coil while the retina is re attaching.
The Gun Pimp

#4 Post by The Gun Pimp »

One of our guys is shooting long-range benchrest with a similar offset mount to your sketch. I think it works well once zeroed.
channel12
Home club or Range: WNSC

#5 Post by channel12 »

I'm right handed but I have impaired right eye vision, not a problem with pistols and shoot left handed with lever actions, muzzle loaders, s/a rimfires. I had right handed bolt action .22 target rifle and I built an offset mount like you are suggesting. It didn't work because the weight of the scope unbalanced the rifle and I could never get a decent cheek weld/eye relief. In the end bought a left handed bolt action.
Embrace the change and learn shoot left handed, might need a left handed bolt action though. However I've always shot long guns from the left shoulder so haven't had to unlearn the muscle memory
Alpha1

#6 Post by Alpha1 »

After having my right eye detached retina re attached and the cataract removed and the new lens inserted I just waited till every thing healed it took a couple of month after that every thing was fine. Now years down the road my right eye is spot on.
I had the left eye lens replaced a couple of year ago unfortunately I have very limited vision in the left eye so its a bit of a lottery I am afraid. The up side is my right eye is still my dominant eye. The down side is I can not see what is going on at my left side but hitting curbs and miss judging turn is not a problem. It doesn't interfere with the shooting which is all that matters.
Ovenpaa

#7 Post by Ovenpaa »

Alpha, I do have another operation due however it is very unlikely that I will be able to shoot with my right eye again.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Webley
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#8 Post by Webley »

https://ukvarminting.com/topic/49938-is ... /#comments
You may find this thread interesting. For a quick fix the 45 degree picatinny offset mounts allow you to try moving the scope over. But it is not a patch on your proposed manufactured solution.
For additional suggestions, you could add pic rail above the rifle rail to attach a light for hunting if that is your thing or a laser directly above the bore to help with ranging as you will have to adjust windage for each range. Possibly add a bubble level?
The Gun Pimp

#9 Post by The Gun Pimp »

Yeah - 'Baldheaded Geordie' (above) is the same guy I referred to.
hitchphil
Home club or Range: Bisley - Mostly

#10 Post by hitchphil »

These are reasonably common in small-bore target shooting & i have seen a few in fullbore too. They simply offset both sights to the left eye. I see no reason why they wont work, but a blinder over the lazy eye, it might help you get used to them. Also beware of alignment of the foresight - its not quite parallel with the bore - so dont get an oval effect in foresight in the vertical axis.
Quality control of Scottish Ethanol. & RDX/HMX

& my fav chemical is :-) 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine.......... used to kill frogs.... but widely consumed & in vast quantities by the French? Eh?