British Army 'Crisp Packet' water proof jacket

If we entered a time of Civil Unrest/Armageddon/Zombie Attacking, what would we do?

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Emergency planning regarding communication, water/food supply, shelter, equipment, transport and of course what guns to have with us!
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: British Army 'Crisp Packet' water proof jacket

#11 Post by Ovenpaa »

kennyc wrote:have you lost the US jacket you wore for the infamous Fullbore McQeens comp ? I seem to remember that being waterproof.....unlike my shorts :p
Nope, that stays in the car 'Just in case' I do remember that shoot and your shorts, The Vikings Army Goretex jacket leaked and when she bitched someone told her that is why it was called surplus, you told us shorts were fine as skin is waterproof and despite being dry under the jacket lying in a puddle to shoot under a tree meant I ended up standing in the car park stark naked apart from some boots as I dried myself off and changed into dry gear.

That was a seriously wet day :)
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#12 Post by kennyc »

this was the jacket

IMG00220-20110804-0940.jpg

I seem to remember someone telling Crystal there was a reason why some things were surplus :p

IMG00219-20110804-0940.jpg
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#13 Post by kennyc »

SNAP! on the surplus comment cheers
Maggot
Home club or Range: HRA and LERA

#14 Post by Maggot »

Yes, I remember the things from the 80s Dave, nasty. They were simple nylon type fabric with a waterproof layer that used to shed itself thus rendering them more useless than they already were.

We used to get round the rat in a crisp bag issue by wearing them UNDER our equally useless when wet combats to keep the noise down.

The only time I remember wearing the poxy things outside was on non tac stuff or on the ranges.....or body surfing on my JNCOs cadre at Sennybridge clapclap

When Goretex came in it was an inquiry job initially if you lost a part of the set......seems daft now

As a surplus item I can recommend these

http://www.britishmilitarysurplus.co.uk ... 23393.html

There is a lighter weight alternative that is as noisy as the original but actually waterproof as this one is.

I use them on the ranges for CSR etc but only in a downpour otherwise you get the "Cammo" police bleating.....
MarkW
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Mendip Shooting Club

#15 Post by MarkW »

Those plain green jackets went out of service just before I joined up in late 87, we were issued the DPM waterproofs that weren't any good either but you could hide better, as long as you stood/laid still.
But we did get issued the chinese fighting suit. A quilted jkt and trs. Very warm IIRC. Sadly I left before MTP became an every day isue item.

After some advice though. I served when DPM was issued so I'm not allowed to wear that now I'm a civvy, but is it fine for me to wear MTP? As I was never issued it, in my mind that makes it OK.
DL.

#16 Post by DL. »

You can wear whatever camouflage pattern you want, even more so with having served, if you want to wear MTP and someone comments that you weren't serving when it was issued, just point that they are a crow!
nic

#17 Post by nic »

if you want a small lightweight jacket, look at the MTD goretex issue stuff ... decent waterproofing, very lightweight and stuff easily into a bag or big pocket
they were being sold at the game fair this weekend about 25 quid from Hellfire Army Surplus... always found them quite reasonably priced
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#18 Post by Ovenpaa »

My US issue Goretex is still going strong and waterproof and lives in the Landrover, stuffed between the seats, just in case... Odd how things change, these days I am more likely to be wearing a brightly coloured Slam or Helly Hansen sailing jacket if I am trying to keep dry for non shooting activities.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#19 Post by Pippin89 »

Ovenpaa wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:03 pm My US issue Goretex is still going strong and waterproof and lives in the Landrover, stuffed between the seats, just in case... Odd how things change, these days I am more likely to be wearing a brightly coloured Slam or Helly Hansen sailing jacket if I am trying to keep dry for non shooting activities.
I used to have a Goretex DPM jacket. Wish I never got rid of it. It was great.