Covid 19 vaccinations for all over 50 from September

Moderator: dromia

Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

Re: Covid 19 vaccinations for all over 50 from September

#11 Post by Pippin89 »

waterford103 wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:52 am I just won't bother , I am 74 and to best knowledge never had so much as a cold or flu' . my immune system very much must be working as designed , one of my shooting friends however has gone downhill rather fast , immune system compromised no thank you.So thanks but no thanks .
It's great news that your immune system works well for you, but have you considered that the vaccine isn't just protecting you but also those around you with not such a strong immune system? It's also worth considering that, the effects you feel with a cold or flu, (sore throat, runny nose etc.) are actually your immune system working to fight the infection. So while the fact you have never knowingly had a cold might be a sign of a strong immune system, it could also be a sign of an immune system that's not working properly.

I am immunosuppressed so as well as having multiple boosters, I rely on the immunity of others around me.
Polchraine

#12 Post by Polchraine »

waterford103 wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:27 am Conservative thankfully
Good to hear it!

Have family tucked away up there aswell as plenty of friends.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
Blackstuff

#13 Post by Blackstuff »

Considering what we now know about the virus, (and the jab) I think you all must be barking unless you have a serious underlying associated health risk/comorbidity, but each to their own! :run:
DVC
Pippin89

#14 Post by Pippin89 »

Blackstuff wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:30 am Considering what we now know about the virus, (and the jab) I think you all must be barking unless you have a serious underlying associated health risk/comorbidity, but each to their own! :run:
Considering what we know about epidemiology and the way vaccines work, I think you must be barking not to.... but as you say, each to their own.
Pete
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#15 Post by Pete »

Pippin89 + 1...

He's probably scared of the needle.....

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
Blackstuff

#16 Post by Blackstuff »

Well i'm no fan of pricks, sooo green55 lol

The only thing i'm worried about is not cashing in on the medical compensation for the jab when the full health effects come to light. Hopefully a scratty bit of paper with a "I took an untested cocktail that killed and maimed thousands of people for a virus 1/4 as lethal as flu and pneumonia and that only lasts for 6 months"" crayoned on the back will be enough for a claim :good:
DVC
Pete
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#17 Post by Pete »

Thought so, another loony from the tinfoil helmet tribe........ kukkuk

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
Pippin89

#18 Post by Pippin89 »

Blackstuff wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:34 am Well i'm no fan of pricks, sooo green55 lol

The only thing i'm worried about is not cashing in on the medical compensation for the jab when the full health effects come to light. Hopefully a scratty bit of paper with a "I took an untested cocktail that killed and maimed thousands of people for a virus 1/4 as lethal as flu and pneumonia and that only lasts for 6 months"" crayoned on the back will be enough for a claim :good:
You seem to have the Daily Mail vision that this is an untested vaccine.... This is completely untrue. I work in the industry (in fact several of the vaccines were developed and manufactured in bioreactors that I design) so maybe I can help you out. Coronaviruses are not new diseases... in fact the common cold is categorised as a Coronavirus. As such, many companies around the world have been developing vaccines for such diseases for, not just years, but decades! The currently used vaccines were not developed from scratch but merely fine tuned from already tried and tested vaccines to combat this particular strain, in exactly the same way that the flu jab is every year. All this is to say that the long term effects are already well documented and known and have been well before Covid-19 was a thing.
Blackstuff

#19 Post by Blackstuff »

I suspect the main justification for this was seeing how far governments could push people and turn us against each other, its been pretty successful so far. If it makes you feel better about yourself i'll take any names you can fire at me 8-)

You've had your jabs, and you intend to get more, :good: . If you're fine with that crack on, but you're still rolling the dice. I've had nothing, had CV19 and had nothing more than a couple of days worth of average-bad cold and have the hundreds of other people I know who've had it, bar one. Each strain is getting weaker and weaker. For me, ze war is over (for now). teanews
DVC
Pippin89

#20 Post by Pippin89 »

Blackstuff wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:06 pm I suspect the main justification for this was seeing how far governments could push people
Not exactly... The field of epidemiology, and especially the mathematics that goes into it is hugely interesting, for science nerds like me at least. And the vaccine roll out, just like any other in the past, is all about reducing the peak and shortening the tail. Vaccine are not designed for personal protection, although that is a very positive side effect. They are all designed for the primary purpose of stamping out virus as quickly as possible and as such, require a big buy in from the public, even if personal protection isn't in individuals interests, such as yours.

There is a very interesting video here on the mathematics of epidemics and simulating the effects of different measures. The interesting outcome, is that by far the best solution, is to identify infections and isolate them. That is why LFT's and the track and trace system were the highest priorities at the start. However unsuccessful they may have been, they were the best chance we had to deal with it quickly before it spread too far.

The most important takeaway from this video, though, is the comparably large change in outcome, from a relatively small percentage of the population not following the method of tackling the virus.