Lead free bullets

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

Lead free bullets

#1 Post by Alpha1 »

I received a batch of .308 lead free bullets to day. 170grain they look like any other bullet. They are tipped I am guessing the tip is not lead obviously. I am taking a couple into work to morrow and will cut them up and see how they are constructed. I have some 168grain lead jacketed bullets to compare them with. I wont be shooting any live quarry that's not my thing. It will be purely target work. They are expensive 50 bullets is about the same price has 100 lead cored jacketed bullets. I can get hold of 6.5 versions but they are also very expensive. We will see how it goes.
Chapuis

Re: Lead free bullets

#2 Post by Chapuis »

Alpha1 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:01 pm I received a batch of .308 lead free bullets to day. 170grain they look like any other bullet. They are tipped I am guessing the tip is not lead obviously. I am taking a couple into work to morrow and will cut them up and see how they are constructed. I have some 168grain lead jacketed bullets to compare them with. I wont be shooting any live quarry that's not my thing. It will be purely target work. They are expensive 50 bullets is about the same price has 100 lead cored jacketed bullets. I can get hold of 6.5 versions but they are also very expensive. We will see how it goes.
If they are the PPU Z-Grom then the cavity will be filled with zinc rather than the lead of the original Grom bullet. I have used the original Grom bullet for stalking and in my opinion has a well deserved good reputation for use on larger game. I haven't used them on roe or anything smaller but I suspect that they may be a little too robust and may not expand sufficiently for roe.

I enquired with Kranks some time ago about the Z-Grom but it appeared that they hadn't heard about them at that time and showed little interest in importing them and PPU advised me to contact their German distributor. I note that the price now charged by Kranks is a fair bit more than the price that the Z-Grom were available in Germany for.
Alpha1

#3 Post by Alpha1 »

I sectioned the bullets they are indeed solids with what looks like a zinc tip. I have sourced some 6.5 solids just need to load some rounds.
Dr. Strangelove

#4 Post by Dr. Strangelove »

If they are the PPU Z-Grom they’re the cheapest non-lead bullet I’ve seen but still pricier than a lead jacketed core bullet!

Will be interested to see how they perform for you, Alpha1.
Graham M

#5 Post by Graham M »

Does the .308 PPU Z-Grom only come in 170grn???
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Alpha1

#6 Post by Alpha1 »

As far as I am aware PPU only make the .308 Z-Grom lead free bullets in170 grains.
Alpha1

#7 Post by Alpha1 »

Other well known bullet manufactures sell lead free bullets in lots of calibers and bullet weights but they are all very expensive compared to lead core jacketed bullets. I have a lot of money invested in cast bullet moulds, smelters, sizing equipment etc that I have acquired over the years if this goes through they are worthless. I am keen to see how this pans out especially related to target shooting. I don't shoot live quarry I have lots of opportunity to do so but I choose not to.
millemigliadave
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#8 Post by millemigliadave »

Alpha1 wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:27 pm Other well known bullet manufactures sell lead free bullets in lots of calibers and bullet weights but they are all very expensive compared to lead core jacketed bullets. I have a lot of money invested in cast bullet moulds, smelters, sizing equipment etc that I have acquired over the years if this goes through they are worthless. I am keen to see how this pans out especially related to target shooting. I don't shoot live quarry I have lots of opportunity to do so but I choose not to.
I think there's some provision suggested for lead use on ranges where substantial lead recovery is possible - there was some mention of this in the latest NRA mag that came through my letterbox recently... Anyone with a muzzle loader will surely have no alternative than lead?
MistAgain

#9 Post by MistAgain »

millemigliadave wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:06 am
Alpha1 wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:27 pm Other well known bullet manufactures sell lead free bullets in lots of calibers and bullet weights but they are all very expensive compared to lead core jacketed bullets. I have a lot of money invested in cast bullet moulds, smelters, sizing equipment etc that I have acquired over the years if this goes through they are worthless. I am keen to see how this pans out especially related to target shooting. I don't shoot live quarry I have lots of opportunity to do so but I choose not to.
I think there's some provision suggested for lead use on ranges where substantial lead recovery is possible - there was some mention of this in the latest NRA mag that came through my letterbox recently... Anyone with a muzzle loader will surely have no alternative than lead?
Muzzle Loaders will get sold out , the same as other "minority" sections of shooting always have .
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#10 Post by dromia »

Correct.

So long as the NRA/Bisley target rifle shooting club and other condom using disciplines like fclass, match, etc can carry on undisturbed then the rest of us are already shafted.

What it will be is the death of the gun trade in the UK.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/