A move back to a more modern rifle.

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

A move back to a more modern rifle.

#1 Post by Ovenpaa »

These days I seldom shoot anything built after 1935 and have pre WW1 sporting.303's and 6.5x54MS rifles conditioned as open rifles, however I have long thought maybe just one modern stalking/vermin/plinking rifle would be sort of OK and I have wanted to build (OK, put this together) for ages.

We had a Schultz & Larsen M97-DL Sporter chambered in 6,5-284 that was a bit underwhelming to shoot. lots of noise and recoil and great at distance however I was always indifferent to the cartridge when I shot it. the Viking who owned it was even less impressed so it just sat and gathered dust in the Armoury.

We also had a spare new 6,5x47 Lapua medium heavy barrel to fit the S&L (They are switch barrel rifles) so the two were put together. Next thing was a sound moderator. Wait a minute, the barrel needs a thread, luckily I happen to have just the machine for such a project and a suitable Sound Moderator that had needed a home for a while (Nielsen) the barrel bushing was missing, so a replacement was machined from some Delrin.

The Viking (Christel) has a Schmidt und Bender 12x56 'scope with a fine three post reticle (A2) and interestingly, it is a German built sight (As opposed to Hungarian) with superb light gathering properties. The S&L was already fitted with Adapters to suit Apel bases which I had a used set of, plus some 26,0mm rings so it all came together quite nicely.

About the only thing is the magazine is a three shot however I have a five shot so I will fit a spacer to suit the shorter cartridge length. Flush cups are already fitted and I have a Turners all weather M1907 sling with the correct fittings so that is about it. A lovely combination of Danish and German engineering. Best get out and zero it so I am ready to find myself something to eat. The job probably took longer to plan and write about than actually do, so I have no idea why I have left it so long.

Take care all.
20220622_161717.jpg
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Les
Home club or Range: WRPC

Re: A move back to a more modern rifle.

#2 Post by Les »

That sounds as though it's going to turn into a really nice shooting rifle. :good:

#3 Post by 1066 »

That all blends together well by the look of it David.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
Ovenpaa

#4 Post by Ovenpaa »

1066 wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:20 pm That all blends together well by the look of it David.
Thank you. Next job is make a decision on what bullet to use for a maximum of 200 yards or so.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal