A trip to the range

Made or missed the shot of a lifetime? Share your shooting trips with everyone. Tell us about it. We won't laugh, honest!

Moderator: dromia

PeterN

A trip to the range

#1 Post by PeterN »

I went to our little outdoor range today to put some rounds through my .310 cadet. I was getting my stuff ready when my daughter rang for a chat. That was OK. Back to getting my stuff ready. Then a friend rang to chat about going on a train trip next Wednesday. That was OK but time getting on now. Bag packed with spotting scope, targets, muffs and glasses. Rifle out of the cabinet and in to the slip, cabinet closed. About to leave and remembered to take a cleaning rod as the occasional case sticks and has to be tapped out with the rod. I got to the range after about a 12 mile journey. I put up the flags and got out the targets, muffs, scope, glasses and put the mat down ready to shoot. I then had to pack everything away and go home without firing a shot. With all the interruptions, I had packed everything except the ammunition! I had opened the cabinet but not taken the ammunition out when I was interrupted. I came back and then closed the cabinet without getting the ammunition out. It was the first time I have done that, ever. I have seen people arrive at the range with the rifle but no bolt before. I was really annoyed with myself for being so stupid. I will try again next week and hopefully take everything I need this time. Maybe it's an age thing.
Regards
Peter.
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

Re: A trip to the range

#2 Post by Pete »

It's definitely an age thing........ 5mith

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
dodgyrog
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

#3 Post by dodgyrog »

I remember way back in time going for a trial shoot for the England Police Pistol team (not trying to be big headed here!). I had my nice much customized S&W model 10 and - you guessed it - noammo.
I asked my friend from Wales if he could help me out but his ammo wouldn't chamber in my pistol for some reason. So he let me shoot with his pistol and ammo.
I beat him!
He was not amused!
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
Les
Home club or Range: WRPC

#4 Post by Les »

I normally leave the bolts behind ...... or the magazines. 5mith
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#5 Post by bradaz11 »

i've left mags and ammo behind before.

I went to the Monthly BWSS comp in north cotes near grimsby, staying in Skegness, traveliing from Somerset, usually about a 5 hr drive to skeg, then an hour or so to the range. got there, unpacked everything and found I had left all my nitro pistol loading equipment behind. no balls, no powder, no press, no primers. no little screwdriver to extract primers.... nothing. had to beg borrow and buy bits to get through the 2 days.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Blackstuff

#6 Post by Blackstuff »

At least the ammo was back in a cabinet and not on the roof of the car/spilled out over a motorway!
DVC