First Time Section 7

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

Re: First Time Section 7

#21 Post by bradaz11 »

thats why I like my range at the Tunnel, in Charmouth. All I do is call and ask if I can book 7.3 on x day at whatever time, if they can't do it, they'll tell me when they have free, or when another 7.3 shooter has booked in.
quite often, I can book a time for the following day of the call, sometimes even the same day if I call first thing
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
bnz41
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#22 Post by bnz41 »

DanTheMan wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 6:04 pm Not often, 13 days this year I think as below:

Heritage Charge – £15.50 per day

January – Saturday 15th
February – Sunday 6th, Saturday 26th
March – Sunday 20th
April – Saturday 9th
May – Sunday 8th
June – Saturday 4th
August – Sunday 7th
September – Saturday 10th
October – Sunday 2nd, Saturday 29th
November – Sunday 20th
December – Saturday 10th

https://nationalshootingcentre.co.uk/heritage-dates/
Morning Dan,

Sorry to hear that mate we were told at the last shoot to almost book your next visit straight away, I will save the stripper clips for you.
Steve12345

#23 Post by Steve12345 »

Hi,
Sorry to jump on this thread but I can see there were a few comments around transporting Sec 7s which is of interest to me as I still am not clear on what I can do. I don't really intend on transporting at the moment but just curious, I may look to transport to a Gunsmith at some point, or an auction house. (or maybe even to Bisley if I ever try and get a 7.3)

Can I transport a pistol that doesn't fall in the 7.1 category, or would this need to be done by a dealer? I can see from previous comments that if you are allowed it in your possession then you are allowed to transport it which would imply that I can?

Thanks
Steve
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter

#24 Post by bradaz11 »

Steve12345 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 7:19 pm Hi,
Sorry to jump on this thread but I can see there were a few comments around transporting Sec 7s which is of interest to me as I still am not clear on what I can do. I don't really intend on transporting at the moment but just curious, I may look to transport to a Gunsmith at some point, or an auction house. (or maybe even to Bisley if I ever try and get a 7.3)

Can I transport a pistol that doesn't fall in the 7.1 category, or would this need to be done by a dealer? I can see from previous comments that if you are allowed it in your possession then you are allowed to transport it which would imply that I can?

Thanks
Steve
section 7.3 when not at it's designated site listed on your fac, is sec 5. so no, you cannot transport a sec 7.3 firearm unless you are a sec 5 dealer or courier.
If you want to change where it is kept (ie what designated site you want to shoot at), you need to advise the police and have your fac amended before you can touch it at the new site.

if it is 7.1 it can be transported by you, in the same manner as any of your sec1 firearms, but prepare to be challenged why you are taking it somewhere if you were to be stopped and found in possession. You can't just take it to the range to show your mates when you feel like it,letting them have a fondle etc. you would need a more robust reason. like you were exhibiting at your local range and answering questions on it etc, with no handling by anyone but you.

You would be fine taking it to a gunsmith or auction house, but the gunsmith you take it to would need to have section 5 authority to be in possesion of it and work on it, because as soon as it leaves your hands, to anyone else, it is a sec 5 firearm. you essentially have an exemption due to sec 7.1

and remember, sec5 isn't a blanket thing like sec 1 and 2. it details how many of what they can have, and for what reason. so a 'Smith that has sec 5 to build shotguns for a police / military contract say, may not be allowed to take a ww1 revolver off you to fix it's timing
Steve12345

#25 Post by Steve12345 »

Hi Bradaz,

Thanks for your detailed reply. I think where my confusion lies for me is that mine is not a 7.1 (presumably not allowed due to the calibre?) but also not really a Sec 7.3 as not at a site. I guess if I have authority to hold it on my FAC then I could transport it for a valid reason as you have described above?

Cheers

Steve
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter

#26 Post by bradaz11 »

Ah is this the way trophy 45? You would have to ask your local police what you can and can't do. I would imagine not a lot, especially as it's readily reloadable ammo wise
Why would you want to transport it to an auction house? Are you looking to sell it already?
Steve12345

#27 Post by Steve12345 »

Yep that’s the one. I think I’ll drop them an email and see what they say. When I spoke to them last year it sounded like I could transport it but was a very quick convo and nothing in writing.

Don’t want to sell it, I have a friend who wants to get some shotguns valued & I have some other items (not firearms but from WW2) that I want valued so thought it might be nice to take it along. Also might get it cleaned up at some point, would like to see how much is original as that seems to make all the difference. Cheers
450 Martini
Home club or Range: Swadlincote RPC

#28 Post by 450 Martini »

"Trophies of War" are covered by Section 6 of the 1997 Act. The certificate condition according to the guidance normally reads:
The *calibre *RIFLE/PISTOL/REVOLVER shall be possessed only as a TROPHY OF
WAR. Not to be fired.

In practice this probably means treat them like 7.1. As always check with the issuing authority but i would have thought exhibition or lecture about the life of the owner would be sufficient "good reason" to have it out and about.
I think the exemption was established as when it was drafted there were a lot of WW2 Veterans still around them and dragging the elderly Lt Col Smith-Smythe-Smith VC through custody and court over the Nambu he took at Kohima would have looked bad.
Steve12345

#29 Post by Steve12345 »

450 Martini wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 9:17 pm "Trophies of War" are covered by Section 6 of the 1997 Act. The certificate condition according to the guidance normally reads:
The *calibre *RIFLE/PISTOL/REVOLVER shall be possessed only as a TROPHY OF
WAR. Not to be fired.

In practice this probably means treat them like 7.1. As always check with the issuing authority but i would have thought exhibition or lecture about the life of the owner would be sufficient "good reason" to have it out and about.
I think the exemption was established as when it was drafted there were a lot of WW2 Veterans still around them and dragging the elderly Lt Col Smith-Smythe-Smith VC through custody and court over the Nambu he took at Kohima would have looked bad.
Thanks Martini,

I think that sounds like the logical answer with it being treated like a 7.1 but will double check. I do like the thought of going to an exhibition to look at other firearms as well.

I think you are spot on with exemption and is exactly how I read it, basically to stop people in their 80s / 90s etc with no criminal records from being taken to court for items they kept decades ago. What was more of a grey area was if they can be inherited, but the guidance doesn’t forbid it- clearly.
450 Martini
Home club or Range: Swadlincote RPC

#30 Post by 450 Martini »

The guidance says that pistols kept as trophies of war can be inherited by a relative and kept on certificate but once they leave the family they go to 7.1 or 7.3
"The police may not wish
to grant a certificate in respect of a firearm held by a family member simply because
it is an heirloom, unless it is a “trophy of war” carried or acquired on active service.
An exemption to this would be if the original or later owner was involved in events of
historic importance, for example a battle or campaign, and if there is evidence of the
involvement of the owner and their firearm;"

Incidentally about 20 years ago a number of G98 rifles taken as trophies during the Great War were acquired by a fairly well known midlands dealer. Apparently they were the property of a regimental museum that had had them for decades and were selling them off. One of them had a little butt disk marked HILL 60 7TH JUNE 1917; obviously taken at Messines. Fortunately this rifle was saved from deactivation and my mate owns it although he only puts blanks through it. I own two others from that batch one of them has obvious battle damage and slight charring under the stock; at some point someone was firing it fast....