Choosing something to shoot with my Son

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Geek
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: Diggle Range and Rossendale Fusiliers

Re: Choosing something to shoot with my Son

#11 Post by Geek »

I started shooting with my son when he was age 11, started on .22LR he didn't like .357. Now he has is own FAC and shoots everything I own (his FAC is mirrored to mine). He usually outshoot me in most (but not all) competitions. My advise based on my own experience with my son would be to start with .22LR. Can be great fun having a little competition between the two of you at 50/100 yards.
Regards,

Geek

AI AT (.308/6.5CM), Ruger PR (6.5CM), American Rimfire (.22LR), Remington 700 (.223), Marlin underlever .38/.357/.44, Savage 6BR, RimfireMagic .22LR, Fabarm Lion (s1), Fabarm Axis Baikal S/S
Sonofsammo

#12 Post by Sonofsammo »

Airbrush wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:08 pm How olds your son? If he’s a gamer eg Call of Duty etc, I’d guess a .22 AR15 will put a smile on his face.
He is indeed! Which is why he adores my 22lr vector.
But I'm after a bolty as well, so he can ultimately transition to my 308.
bradaz11
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#13 Post by bradaz11 »

you could download the 308 so it doesn't beat him up.
failing that the list is pretty wide ranging, probably limited most by shape and how much you want to spend.
m1carbine is a fantastic fun gun that will do as you want.
any nice quality lever gun, my 44spl uberti special sporting 1873 is such a lovely rifle. .32-20 is also an excellent round. 38/357 is very popular, as are the gun shapes of henrys, or rossi 92s, true winchester 92 / 94s or marlin 94s
you could even go with a .22mag ar15 shaped rifle. the t2s are great guns and are made in the UK.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Blackstuff
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#14 Post by Blackstuff »

Mossberg Thunder Ranch bolt actions in .223 were virtually being given away a couple of years ago (I saw them for £395 NEW at some point!). Lovely gun for the money.
DVC
walesdave

#15 Post by walesdave »

Have a look at a Ruger Precision Rimfire if he fancies a 'tacticool' look. Mines ok at 100m, I can hit 4inch gongs pretty well.
Mattnall
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA, Redricks TSC, BS1944RC, HRA

#16 Post by Mattnall »

The problem with any of the full-bore rifle rounds will be the 25m and 50m shooting, it's a bit much for that and wasted really.
If the roof is too low try sitting or prone shooting at 100m.
If it has to be one rifle/round for all distances try 22wmr or any of the pistol calibres - 357M is great at 100.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.