Who is shooting where and when?

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

Re: Who is shooting where and when?

#11 Post by Mattnall »

I try to get to Bisley twice a month, CSR league and highpower and the attached practice days. These are usually well attended and have been all season at least since the ranges reopened last year.

I also try to get a full-bore zero/testing session in at a more local club once a week if time allows. This stopped for me over Christmas but last week there were fewer attendees, whether the numbers were down due to the cold, CV19, post Christmas blues or a combination I don't know.

A couple of local clubs have reopened with limited shooter availability. This has impacted numbers of course but one club is as full as their reduced scheme will allow. The general older age of most members (with accompanying health problems) may keep some away for now.

Our range is open most weekdays and we have seen a big resurgence of interest in shooting, since the first lockdown ended things have been busy and many new to shooting have come through the doors. A significant number have taken up the sport and joined clubs.

I only know of one old member of a club that has given up, reasons were the pandemic and his (and his wife's) poor health has made him rethink his priorities and shooting wasn't a big one. I can't blame him really and I might have done the same if I was in his shoes.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
The Gun Pimp

#12 Post by The Gun Pimp »

Diggle is back to normal with a full calendar of shoots every weekend - http://www.diggleranges.com/images/gall ... lendar.pdf
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#13 Post by Pippin89 »

I'm shooting once a week at a smallbore indoor range and once a month on the clays. Clay ground seems to be as busy as before. Smallbore club is much quieter. However, they are just opening up to new probationers again and apparently we have 20+ waiting, so I suspect its about to get very busy.
stottycake
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Tcsc,.gardners guns,

#14 Post by stottycake »

My clay club has been open since restrictions were eased a while ago so I'm there every fortnight, my fullbore club is once a month, which we're on most of last year as far as I can remember, but restricted to 30 full members only,and this year I've got 4 days booked at gardners eskdalemuir, in march and April,and I'm planning to go a least once a month after that,hopefully 🤞🤞
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#15 Post by Daryll »

I'm back to visiting the range every couple of weeks... family circumstances prevent anything more often. :cry:

We've been using the club pretty much as usual over the last 2 years, (apart from during the lock-downs), with various mask/distancing/cleaning procedures in place.
Graham M

#16 Post by Graham M »

I shoot match rifle every Sunday at my indoor range, but the gallery rifle shooters are really quiet. They used to shoot Wednesdays and Fridays but now they have had to close Wednesday because most nights only the secretary was turning up to open up.
It's also been noted that a few of the gallery rifle shooters have packed up, which didn't surprise me as a lot of them were only interested in shooting a gun and not real shooters. They weren't even interested in applying for their own FAC
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Jorden
Home club or Range: ponteland

#17 Post by Jorden »

There is the problem in a nutshell, why do so many factions in the shooting world take delight in knocking one another, do we not realise the goverment policy is divide and conquer?
Graham M

#18 Post by Graham M »

Jorden wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:52 pm There is the problem in a nutshell, why do so many factions in the shooting world take delight in knocking one another, do we not realise the goverment policy is divide and conquer?
And there is the other problem; people who ASSUME that just because they read a post on a forum that they know what's going on in that section of the world.
Yes I shoot match rifle every Sunday morning........but I also shoot gallery rifle most Friday nights. I also shoot vermin, fox, deer and black powder flintlock as well as BP pistol. I also shoot air rifles and do a bit of clay shooting, so don't knock any area of shooting.
I was simply pointing out that the real shooters were returning whilst the tyre-kickers weren't. teanews
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#19 Post by Alpha1 »

I think you are not the only one with tyre kickers. I have a member who completed his probationary membership and was offered a full membership that he accepted. He has been a full member for over three years he has no intention of applying for a certificate or purchasing his own guns. He turns up once a month and uses a Club .308 and a Club .303 rifle. He purchases 100 rounds of each caliber shoots it then goes home. He knows nothing about rifles black powder revolvers etc etc. Reloading is a black art he knows nothing about. I have to lug the Club guns to the range then take them home and clean them as well as my own stuff. So you are not on your own.
daman
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: HRPC, NRA, BASC, BDS, Larbert, UKPSA

#20 Post by daman »

Currently shooting on our local indoor range twice a week.

Numbers are still down though, we used to have 8 - 20 people of an evening, now it's more like 3 - 6.