Colt SAA by Pietta / Uberti which is the better choice?

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

Re: Colt SAA by Pietta / Uberti which is the better choice?

#11 Post by GeeRam »

Dark Skies wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:33 am
bradaz11 wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:58 pm you'll be lucky.
someone like a and a gunsmiths who are essentially reselling guns supplied by kranks, is more likely to do that
Are Krank not very helpful then?
That's like asking if the Pope's a catholic.... lol
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#12 Post by Dark Skies »

On another matter ...

Assuming I go with the Uberti over a Pietta:

What size balls does it favour?
What are the best cap size?

I currently have a lot of .454 balls in stock. I also have a lot of CCI 11 caps (so I'm betting it'd want the sizes I don't have).
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#13 Post by bradaz11 »

I prefer to use 457 in mine as I get a full ring shaved off.

Mine are nitro or nitro converted, so no caps
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Sim G
Past Supporter

#14 Post by Sim G »

Dark Skies wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:52 pm On another matter ...

Assuming I go with the Uberti over a Pietta:

What size balls does it favour?
What are the best cap size?

I currently have a lot of .454 balls in stock. I also have a lot of CCI 11 caps (so I'm betting it'd want the sizes I don't have).

.454” and CCI #11 caps are exactly what I used. It’s probably the industry standard. However, I did only use proper BP in it, 35gns by volume. No wads, grease or other cr@p to clog it up. And the balls were Allox lubed.

The loaded press offered for this revolver is utterly pants though! I bought an eBay version years ago that was so much sturdier.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Dark Skies

#15 Post by Dark Skies »

Sim G wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:34 am
.454” and CCI #11 caps are exactly what I used. It’s probably the industry standard. However, I did only use proper BP in it, 35gns by volume. No wads, grease or other cr@p to clog it up. And the balls were Allox lubed.

The loaded press offered for this revolver is utterly pants though! I bought an eBay version years ago that was so much sturdier.
Well, that's good to know. I wasn't looking forward to melting them down to turn into .457 !

Was the flimsy press this one?
With a resin type material base?
Attachments
0000725_uberti-1873-single-action-army-cattleman-5-12-barrel-black-powder-revolver-44cal_550.jpeg
Sim G
Past Supporter

#16 Post by Sim G »

Yep, that was exactly the first press. The base was aluminium though. Couple or three cylinder loads on it and the “arm” bent right where the brass ramrod is for seating the ball.

Speaking of which, I did try conicals as well. That was a waste of 50 rounds worth of lead! (Melting them after alloxing is not an event I wish to relive!)
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Dark Skies

#17 Post by Dark Skies »

Sim G wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:14 pm Yep, that was exactly the first press. The base was aluminium though. Couple or three cylinder loads on it and the “arm” bent right where the brass ramrod is for seating the ball.

Speaking of which, I did try conicals as well. That was a waste of 50 rounds worth of lead! (Melting them after alloxing is not an event I wish to relive!)
I've tried conicals - they were pants. That said I used the above press (but with the fibre / resin base) the face of the brass arbor was designed for balls so it was a pain to get bullets to centre in the cylinder properly. Fortunately I'd only made up a batch of twelve.

As for the press - it broke at the base. I think I can repurpose the brass arbor and make a steel pivot arm with a steel bolt cut about for the upright.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#18 Post by dromia »

I use the conicals from Kaido Ojamaa's custom Lee moulds.

They work very well at the longer distances. Up to 50 yards or so they don't give much better shooting than hard driven round balls but once you are getting out to 80 yards plus then they come into their own, heavier and a better ballistic co-efficient than round balls.

They make matching Hicock's Tutt shot repeatable.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Dark Skies

#19 Post by Dark Skies »

dromia wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:15 pm I use the conicals from Kaido Ojamaa's custom Lee moulds.

They work very well at the longer distances. Up to 50 yards or so they don't give much better shooting than hard driven round balls but once you are getting out to 80 yards plus then they come into their own, heavier and a better ballistic co-efficient than round balls.

They make matching Hicock's Tutt shot repeatable.
I don't have anywhere close where I could shoot that far, so I guess I'll be sticking with balls.
That said, I'm doing all right with my Pietta Colt Navy at 25 yards. Look, it has a lickle face. :)
Attachments
WP_20200125_19_42_56_Pro.jpg
Dark Skies

#20 Post by Dark Skies »

Does Firing Solutions have an actual shop?
They have a few revolvers I'm interested in listed on guntrader - which I emailed them on that platform several days ago. I got no reply.
So then I went to their actual website where they state they prefer emails over phone calls and tried again. Still no reply.
I wondered if they had an actual brick and mortar shop?