Smoothbore Musket and S1

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

Swallowtail
Home club or Range: North Cotes

Re: Smoothbore Musket and S1

#21 Post by Swallowtail »

What can't be argued is what the text says in black and white ‘Ammunition’ means ammunition for any firearm, unless you're saying a musket isn't one (which clearly isn't true). Component parts are not ammunition, so powder, patch, ball are just that, components. Pop them in the barrel and they become ammunition because they have been assembled, the good book doesn't define assembly it just says assembled. So the fact that they have to be put in the barrel in a set sequence or assembly = ammunition. It would appear then that different sorts of ammunition is defined into sections with specific requirements or control to a greater or lessor degree. So, it might be that a S2 musket can be loaded with powder and ball and still remain within the boundaries of S2, but it is still loaded with ammunition once the components have been assembled.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#22 Post by Sim G »

A primed case with powder and no bullet, is not ammunition. Likewise, a case, with powder, a bullet, but sans primer is not ammunition. This isn’t about what technically constitutes, but what is defined under the auspices of the firearms act.

Just as when I used to shoot muzzle loading rifles, they were held on FAC but there was no authority to acquire or keep ammunition as ostensibly, it does not exist. And now, I have two muzzle loading revolvers on FAC, one BP and one nitro and neither have an ammunition authority.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Swallowtail
Home club or Range: North Cotes

#23 Post by Swallowtail »

I agree with most of what you say, until your separates are assembled to the point at which they become ammunition then they're not, although it can be argued that a blank is indeed ammunition as it has been assembled to the point at which it is to be used. As for needing authority etc to keep ammunition, as you say it doesn't exist until it's assembled. As for what is defined under the FA, have you not thought that's where I quote from.
PeterN

#24 Post by PeterN »

A blank is not ammunition as it does not incorporate a projectile. If the components only become ammunition when loaded in a barrel, then you would only need an ammunition allowance of one as you would never have more than one round in your possession, the one in the barrel. You seem to be trying to find a problem where none exists. Just load your section 2 smooth bore musket with ball on the range and carry on like everyone else has done for decades without a problem.
Regards
Peter.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#25 Post by dromia »

OK you have asked the forum, you have received the wisdom of the forum from long term responsible, respected gun owners and shooters as well as professionals in the trade, offering not just opinion but referenced sources including the view of the governing body for muzzle loading.

After three pages plus links to other discussions you still believe your off forum advice and quote poorly interpreted and thought through"evidence" that you continue to champion refusing to be swayed by the collective view of the forum.

To be honest I don't see why you have bothered asking in the first place as you obviously "know" best and choose not believe those that you have asked.

It seems that you just want to argue for the sake of it and waste peoples time.

One more thing for you to ponder, where do flintlocks fit into your view?

I'm not interested in your answer.

This thread is now locked.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/