Several handguns

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

rufrdr

Several handguns

#1 Post by rufrdr »

Hello all,

Been gone for a bit with traveling and a new computer, I lost all of my bookmarked sites, but I found my way back.

I've picked up some handguns recently despite my pledge to divest firearms and not acquire more. These I purchased using funds from other pieces sold or traded for. Just as I thought I was reducing inventory on hand, the CMP shipped a 1911A1 for me and a SW model 3 copy fell into my lap. A friend also gave me some long guns since he is no longer shooting but that is a subject for a different sub-forum.

Firstly is a SW 2913 TSW, a nice 9mm carry piece. It is amazingly accurate and the recoil is not bad at all.

Next up is an engraved SW 29 .44 magnum I've only fired .44 specials through it and that is enough for me

Next we have a G.I. issue Colt frame/Ithaca slide 1911A1 courtesy of the Civilian Marksmanship program. I carried one like it in the Army off and on over the years. Nice condition for a pistol made in 1943!

Lastly is a Beretta/Uberti 'Laramie' in .38 special. It is an updated copy of the SW model 3. Haven't shot this one yet but i'm looking forward to doing so!

"Everybody dies...the thing is, to die well"

Jack Harper
DaveB
Home club or Range: Wellington Service Rifle Assocaition; NZ Deerstalkers Association; Wairarapa Pistol & Shooting Sports Club

Re: Several handguns

#2 Post by DaveB »

Nice! I had one of the early S&W Model 59s (the great-grandfather of yours). They always shoot well. Traded it to a friend back in the late 1970s. Wish I still had it. I have always had a soft spot for the venerable 1911A1 (I have the Remington 1911R1 - say what you like about Big Green's quality control, mine shoots very well indeed). It quickly became my favourite pistol If only it weren't so darned expensive to shoot. Must get off my behind and set up to reload .45 ACP. Never cared for .44 Magnum revolvers, but I sure wish I could afford a nice S&W K38 Combat Masterpiece. The Laramie is certainly interesting. All-in-all some really nice choices there.
bnz41
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#3 Post by bnz41 »

Excellent pistols, the 1911 looks to be in fantastic condition that's the one for me out of the 4 shown. :good:
johngarnett
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: Cornwall RC @ Millpool; Duchy Shooting Assn @ Zelah

#4 Post by johngarnett »

Good to have you back!!
The 1911 does it for me too (everything else is still great!!). I had an Ithaca, green finish that I 'worked' on as it was my no.3 1911 so I could afford to mess it up and not be out of shooting! It became my 'secret weapon' lol. Looked bog standard, boring green but slick and accurate. Surprised a few people!!
Those were the days. I'll be OK in a minute ;)
JohnG Cornwall
Sim G
Past Supporter

#5 Post by Sim G »

That 4” Smith! Wow. I had a thing for big bore snub nose revolvers. Charter Arms Bulldog was my favourite.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
20series
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

#6 Post by 20series »

Ooh nice...
Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
meles meles
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: HBSA

#7 Post by meles meles »

*envious green glow*
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#8 Post by snayperskaya »

meles meles wrote:*envious green glow*
That'll be the depleted uranium.......
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!