Sir Ian Botham and the BBC

All things Hunting, Fishing, Wildlife and Conservation related.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
"The Dromia Rule"

Deer Stalking… reliable word of mouth recommendation from someone you know has undertaken such stalking being offered by a specific syndicate is best. Like other walks of life, stalking has its scammers. E.G., make sure there is deer, of the species sought, on the land being made available; that appropriate insurance is in place; that there is recourse for recompense if it all goes wrong. In addition, obtain and understand terms and conditions; consider the implications of allowing a syndicate leader to be a FAC mentor; make sure ‘coaches’ are suitably qualified; consider the quality of deer management, the construction & execution of a shooting plan and safety; determine if the land is over-shot.

If in doubt, contact BASC or similar.

http://www.basc.org.uk/

Anyone considered to be a scammer will be banned without warning.
Christel
Site Admin

Sir Ian Botham and the BBC

#1 Post by Christel »

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/0 ... -woke-bbc/

Article below.
Country people are sick of the woke BBC

It’s time the director-general delivered on his promise to rein in virtue-signalling presenters
Ian Botham
11 January 2021 • 6:00am
Ian Botham

Since I joined the House of Lords, a lot of people have been writing to me about the BBC. They say that it is turning against them – that it doesn’t see them, let alone listen to them. But is my inbox representative?

According to a new YouGov poll, the answer is clearly yes. It found that only 4 per cent of the public thought that the BBC had improved at representing their values during 2020. A staggering 33 per cent said it had become worse. This is an organisation in big trouble. Any business facing numbers like those would take drastic action.

The BBC was doing particularly badly in the countryside, from where many people write to me. They dislike how the corporation increasingly uses its programmes to promote the narrow “woke” views of its senior staff. They say it abuses its power to push these “urban progressive” ideas as if they were mainstream.

They are anything but.

My correspondents are encouraging me to speak out on their behalf. So here goes. I direct this message to the BBC’s new Director-General, Tim Davie, who is a principled guy. He spends his holidays in the countryside, so I hope this strikes a chord.

The top item on the agenda is the BBC licence fee, which people over 75 are being forced to pay. Many of this vulnerable age group live in remote areas and rely on the BBC – especially now that we are back in lockdown. Yet millions are having to dig into their pockets as the licence is now only free through means testing. This is causing no end of worry.

The BBC promised that it would offer a free licence to over-75s. I urge Mr Davie to ensure it keeps its word. Our senior citizens do not deserve to be impoverished or frightened by demands from BBC tax collectors.

Next is the small army of presenters who use their BBC profiles to push their political and social views. Mr Davie pledged to put an end to this abuse, but it hasn’t totally stopped.

The most obvious example is Chris Packham, the BBC’s main countryside presenter. Correspondents say that it appears that he forgets instructions and keeps using “his BBC platform to promote his views”. Mr Packham even has his own lobbying company, Wild Justice, which regularly attacks the well-thought-through ways the countryside has been traditionally managed.

His vitriol is extraordinary. He has called those who work on grouse moors “satanic”, “evil” and “psychotic”, and yet he claims that he “would never voice an anti-shooting agenda”.

His BBC influence allows him to push his extreme anti-countryside agenda, and he has forced farmers and gamekeepers to change how they look after nature. One gentleman told me that Mr Packham “is the greatest threat to song birds and ground nesting birds that the UK has ever seen”.

Mr Packham has more impact on rural policy than any government minister. He is a very effective politician dressed up as a presenter. His power comes not from being elected, but largely from his BBC role. This is wrong, and is costing the BBC its reputation. Without its patronage, he would not have anything like the influence he has today.

Mr Packham is not the only one. James Wong, who has presented the BBC’s Countryfile, recently wrote on Twitter: “UK gardening culture has racism baked into its DNA”. Surely this is exactly the sort of self-promoting gibberish that Mr Davie promised to stamp out. Who runs the BBC? Is it Mr Davie, or the presenters?

Country people have long been tired of this. Yet the BBC just mouths empty platitudes. It appears too big to reform.

There is another unaccountable institution that Britain got fed up with. The European Union and its officials in Brussels made the mistake of thinking that we would always grin and bear it. How wrong they were.

The BBC dominates our culture and political debate. But those I hear from feel it has lost its legitimacy and despair of it. Mr Davie must move radically and quickly if they are not to feel even more alienated from his urban woke-run corporation.

Reform of the BBC is a key issue for 2021. I want to help more country folk to get their voices heard on this. I look forward to Telegraph readers’ online comments on the subject. And for those over 75 who are concerned about the BBC’s broken promise on the licence fee, drop me an email at lord.botham@gmail.com.
If you want to comment on the article, you have to be a subscriber, alternatively use the email above to let your voice be heard re the BBC and the license fee.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Sir Ian Botham and the BBC

#2 Post by Ovenpaa »

This looks to be the same or a re-hash of an article from last year.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#3 Post by Pete »

I got round the reinstated licence fee by cancelling the Radio Times subscription..........

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#4 Post by dromia »

Television binned in 1991 and never paid a license fee since even when those arseholes capita tried to bully me into it by threatening me with search warrants, arrest and prison.

Anyone who watches TV deserves to pay for it and through the nose.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/

#5 Post by 1066 »

By coincidence I received an email survey from the BBC today, first time ever. - Not sure they will like the feedback. :)
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
Geek
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: Diggle Range and Rossendale Fusiliers

#6 Post by Geek »

dromia wrote: Anyone who watches TV deserves to pay for it and through the nose.
Why am I not surprised by your comment, it is the sort of response I would expect from you.

In my opinion, people should pay for what they watch. I don't watch the BBC (left wing propaganda as far as I am concerned). Yet, I am forced to pay for something I don't watch, because I have a television and watch other channels.

Whilst the BBC (delusionally) states that people support it, it will not go subscription voluntarily because it knows that the vast majority of the general public do NOT support the BBC or its left wing woke agenda. The sooner the BBC becomes a subscription service the better!
Regards,

Geek

AI AT (.308/6.5CM), Ruger PR (6.5CM), American Rimfire (.22LR), Remington 700 (.223), Marlin underlever .38/.357/.44, Savage 6BR, RimfireMagic .22LR, Fabarm Lion (s1), Fabarm Axis Baikal S/S
Geek

#7 Post by Geek »

1066 wrote:By coincidence I received an email survey from the BBC today, first time ever. - Not sure they will like the feedback. :)
Wish they would send me one lol
Regards,

Geek

AI AT (.308/6.5CM), Ruger PR (6.5CM), American Rimfire (.22LR), Remington 700 (.223), Marlin underlever .38/.357/.44, Savage 6BR, RimfireMagic .22LR, Fabarm Lion (s1), Fabarm Axis Baikal S/S
Les
Home club or Range: WRPC

#8 Post by Les »

Geek wrote: The sooner the BBC becomes a subscription service the better!
That's the problem - it already is.
Geek

#9 Post by Geek »

Les wrote:
Geek wrote: The sooner the BBC becomes a subscription service the better!
That's the problem - it already is.
lol OK, a voluntary subscription service!
Regards,

Geek