Long Branch No.4

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

PeterN

Long Branch No.4

#1 Post by PeterN »

This is my 1944 dated Long Branch No.4 Mk1*. It is in nice condition and shoots OK. I have had it about ten years. The chap I bought it off bought it off an army officer who had had it for many years and used it as his target rifle, hence the target swivel in front of the trigger guard. It still has a decent bore.
Long Branch full right.jpg
Long Branch action right.jpg
Long Branch action left.jpg
Regards
Peter.
PeterN

Re: Long Branch No.4

#2 Post by PeterN »

A few more pics.
Long Branch action top.jpg
Long Branch rear sight.jpg
Long Branch full left.jpg
A nice rifle to have.
Regards
Peter.
Ovenpaa

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

Another fine looking rifle Peter. Outside of pandemics when you can actually shoot, what is your favourite distance to shoot at? I have shot military rifles out to 1000 and even 1200 yards, however I mostly enjoy 300 yards.

One memorable time I was lent a late 30s Kar98k and some ammunition dated 1957. I was at the 1000 yard point and had been shooting an Accuracy International to great effect on 600 yard targets. I swapped over to the 98, set the sight to 900m and shot three without the frame dropping. At that point the butts radioed back and told me I was just at the top of the frame which I though was rather impressive for the old girl.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
PeterN

#4 Post by PeterN »

I usually shoot at 200 yards now but have shot out to 600 yards. The range I normally shoot at goes back to 300 yards. Ex-military rifles can shoot well. I once got three V bulls on the trot at 500 yards with the Mannlicher M95 using 1940 dated ammunition. I have shot my Mosin Nagent M44 carbine out to 600 yards. It is a bit more awkward nowadays trying to line up an in focus front sight central in an out of focus rear sight and line it up with an out of focus target. Aperture sights are better. I still enjoy shooting my rifles and it does go OK sometimes. I managed to come second in the veteran service rifle match 506 at the 2019 Trafalgar Meeting with my Swiss K31 with a score of 49 ex 50 so that was a good day. I was using Prvi ammunition. That shoots really well in the K31. I will keep shooting as long as I can.
Regards
Peter.
ukrifleman

#5 Post by ukrifleman »

It is a bit more awkward nowadays trying to line up an in focus front sight central in an out of focus rear sight and line it up with an out of focus target. Aperture sights are better. I still enjoy shooting my rifles

Have you tried these?
I am long sighted and found that I couldn't keep everything in focus as I got older, but Eye Pal sharpened everything up for me and enabled me to carry on shooting with iron sights.

https://www.tacticalscope.co.uk/eyepal- ... -587-p.asp.
ukrifleman
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#6 Post by GeeRam »

Ovenpaa wrote: One memorable time I was lent a late 30s Kar98k and some ammunition dated 1957. I was at the 1000 yard point and had been shooting an Accuracy International to great effect on 600 yard targets. I swapped over to the 98, set the sight to 900m and shot three without the frame dropping. At that point the butts radioed back and told me I was just at the top of the frame which I though was rather impressive for the old girl.
We've had, as issued, milsurp's outshoot experienced TR guys shooting heavy barreled 7.62 Envoy type No.4 conversions with PHC type sights at 900 and 600 yrds ranges in our club shoots.

One member (with young eyes) got into the low 40's and highest score of the day with an ex-Home Guard P17 at 900yrds a few years ago, and I did the same with my No.4(T) last summer.
I've also got within just a few points of the 7.62TR guys, at 600yrds with my ex-Kriegsmarine/ex-Norwegian Navy 1940 dated K98k....but its a real struggle with my eyes now with battle sights at those distances now, even 300yrds is a bit of a struggle (the electronic targets at Bisley don't help)
The K98k is especially bad with the awful v-battle sights, and its no wonder the Norwegian's modified the front and rear sights on their K98k when they re-barrel them to 30-06 in the early 50's. Those have a much better sight picture than the original German ones.
PeterN

#7 Post by PeterN »

UKrifleman, thanks for that. I think I will give one a try.
Regards
Peter.
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#8 Post by GeeRam »

PeterN wrote:UKrifleman, thanks for that. I think I will give one a try.
Regards
Peter.
Likewise.....will try anything once, although I wear varifocal's so not sure if they'll work or not on those, but worth the try.
Ovenpaa

#9 Post by Ovenpaa »

An alternative to Eyepal to confirm it works for you is any static cling sticker such as the BASC ones. Cut a disk or two, pierce with a needle and see how you get on with it, you can soon reposition as needed and if it works invest in an Eyepal, or a piece of black electricians tape for a more permanent solution. A friends father machined some small brass disks with pin holes to super glue over the aperture sight of a P14, that works incredibly well and is easily removed.

I can remember shooting a competition with a peep type sight rifle in torrential rain. Just for a brief moment a drop of water filled the peep hole and it was like a perfect optical insert. Sadly it disappeared with the next shot and my contact lens was flushed out soon after. I have always wanted to try a Gallilean sight with my SMLE. Sadly they sell for more than the rifle cost these days and seem to be mostly in the hands of collectors :(
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal