Eley Sport .22LR ammunition, thoughts anyone?

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

Re: Eley Sport .22LR ammunition, thoughts anyone?

#11 Post by Pippin89 »

RDC wrote:
Pippin89 wrote:I've shot 50m off sling with Sport and Club on the same day and found zero difference. Stepping up to Match a few weeks later did see a small improvement but it could be down to me or conditions on the day.
I found Match came into its own when shooting at 200 and 300.
I haven't shot a smallbore that far so I couldn't comment. I imagine 300 with a smallbore to be pretty unreliable?....
Ovenpaa

#12 Post by Ovenpaa »

I doubt I would see any improvement in my LSR scores with any of the 'Better' types of ammunition as the rifle is 100 years old and shot with open sights. For this reason alone I see no point in forking out an extra tenner per hundred for Match. I can hold a 2.5"ish group off my elbows with Club at 100 yards and that is about all I expect with whatever I use, so as long as it is consistent and pleasant to shoot it will do me. Shooting the M54S-430 is another matter.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
RDC

#13 Post by RDC »

Pippin89 wrote:I haven't shot a smallbore that far so I couldn't comment. I imagine 300 with a smallbore to be pretty unreliable?....
Challenging more than anything, especially with wind. Sub-MOA it ain't. However 4s and 5s are acceptable for me and it's enjoyable. The difference in group size between CCI standard velocity and Eley Match was night and day. The CCI SV was all over the board.

I wouldn't be willing to try 500 yards (next available distance for me), but people do in comps at Bisley and elsewhere!
Pete
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#14 Post by Pete »

We found SK Match the best in both a BSA International, and an elderly Anschutz Supermatch.

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
Whizzbang

#15 Post by Whizzbang »

RDC wrote:
Pippin89 wrote:I haven't shot a smallbore that far so I couldn't comment. I imagine 300 with a smallbore to be pretty unreliable?....
Challenging more than anything, especially with wind. Sub-MOA it ain't. However 4s and 5s are acceptable for me and it's enjoyable. The difference in group size between CCI standard velocity and Eley Match was night and day. The CCI SV was all over the board.

I wouldn't be willing to try 500 yards (next available distance for me), but people do in comps at Bisley and elsewhere!
"Mark and Sam after Work" recently posted a vid of .22LR at 1000yds. I'm always surprised that they use HV (Velocitor 40gr@1435fps) for their long range attempts.
Whizzbang

#16 Post by Whizzbang »

Ovenpaa wrote:I doubt I would see any improvement in my LSR scores with any of the 'Better' types of ammunition as the rifle is 100 years old and shot with open sights. For this reason alone I see no point in forking out an extra tenner per hundred for Match. I can hold a 2.5"ish group off my elbows with Club at 100 yards and that is about all I expect with whatever I use, so as long as it is consistent and pleasant to shoot it will do me. Shooting the M54S-430 is another matter.
I think you're right not to buy super-spendy ammo for that use; I have the same philosophy and find SKStandardPlus is at the sweet spot for price v quality for most of my uses: it works well in my bolt-action and 2 s/autos.

I shot this group zeroing my bunnie-gun today, 81m (I use a 51m zero and dialled for this to confirm drop/holdover). The gun does shoot better with Tenex but I'm not an Olympic competitor!

My only caveats would be:

1. I get the occasional "cracker" which goes an inch higher (at 81m) and, more rarely, a shot that feels weak and drops low by as much as 2-2.5inches. This doesn't happen with RWS R50 or Tenex.

2. I had a bad batch of SKStandardPlus which almost made me question my scope until I compared it to the last of previous batch (51m Semi-auto: you'll notice even the good groups have "fliers" but that may be me as this gun's lower has a service-weight trigger for CSR, approx 5lbs)

5shot grps at 51m s/auto

10shot grps at 51m s/auto

5shot groups at 51m s/auto

If my next box of SK Standard Plus is good, I'll buy a couple of bricks of it. If it's bad I may bite the bullet (ho ho) and look at match ammo, possibly Eley Team as that is the next down level of QC down from Tenex and Match, but from the same production line. Seems uncommon though.

BTW my choice of 81m/51m (88.5yds/55.7yds) is purely because that's the layout of my "range" for zeroing.
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#17 Post by Pippin89 »

Whizzbang wrote:possibly Eley Team as that is the next down level of QC down from Tenex and Match, but from the same production line. Seems uncommon though.
I believe Team was dropped a while back as the quality of their production of Tenex was getting better and wasn't producing enough in the Team region. It then came back for a while, not sure if this was old stock or if they had a fall in quality again? Either way that is probably why you don't see it very often.
Ovenpaa

#18 Post by Ovenpaa »

Keen shooting there Whizzbang, what is the rifle?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Whizzbang

#19 Post by Whizzbang »

Ovenpaa wrote:Keen shooting there Whizzbang, what is the rifle?

Thanks.

The Bolt-action is an Anschutz, perhaps a 1416 G HB Model64? I'd love to know if anyone can tell me. Basic stock and short barrel with a recessed crown:

The semi-auto is a BAR-22 upper on a SGC lower.