Bored.....

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

Christel
Site Admin

Re: Bored.....

#61 Post by Christel »

DaveB wrote:
christel wrote:I do apologise for the lost few hours we saw yesterday.

I can see a picture posted by CTF - is that not correct?
It is correct now, but when first I spotted that post, the photo that was attached to CTFs post was not the one that is there now, it was a Remington 700 SPS Tactical in an Oryx chassis. Somehow the system switched the two photos, though I have no idea how.
Moving the website to a new cluster went relatively smoothly however there were a few glitches, hopefully it is done now with no more interference.
O:-)
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#62 Post by snayperskaya »

Still can't see CTF's bayonets......
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
Christel
Site Admin

#63 Post by Christel »

snayperskaya wrote:Still can't see CTF's bayonets......
Clear your cookies?

What is the forum IP? It should be 5.77.42.177 - if not then you need to clear your cookies.
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#64 Post by snayperskaya »

christel wrote:
snayperskaya wrote:Still can't see CTF's bayonets......
Clear your cookies?

What is the forum IP? It should be 5.77.42.177 - if not then you need to clear your cookies.
Done that but the pic is still a rifle, no bayonets....
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
bnz41
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#65 Post by bnz41 »

I said that as well. Rich see bayonets now.
MrD

#66 Post by MrD »

JS569 wrote:
Hi Donald, I've had a good look at the P1903 and I can't see any markings on it that would suggest Indian service - I pretty much recognise all the other stamps on it. Is there anything I should be looking for?
I've had a look at some pics of P1903s which I bought/sold years ago which had seen Indian service. Not sure which I still have without major searching. A few of them had 'straight' scales, not really shaped to the handle, which I assumed were locally made. Some of them had traces of green paint on the pommel and all carried various Indian inspection marks such as IG, IS or RFI. All of the blades were UK makers. If you can't find any of these marks, then I'd assume yours stayed here.

Donald
Save it for a mammal who cares!

http://www.cawdorrifleandgunclub.co.uk/
rufrdr

#67 Post by rufrdr »

Found on a semi-dry lake bed in the Mojave desert near Edwards AFB; the lake bed was apparently either an aircraft or ground .50 gunnery range during WW2. I was with a Boy Scout troop shooting model rockets off on the lake bed when we started finding the cases and even more amazing, fired projectiles sitting on the alkaline salt bed. The two cases I picked up are DM (Des Moines ammunition plant). The 7.62mm drill round is for scale.

The lake bed periodically floods and when I went back a year later nothing was to be found. Some time after that I returned once again to the lake bed to find it had once again recently flooded and water receded, to leave a pristine surface as white and unblemished as a snow field. And in the snow field was a small spray of blackened iron stone that for the world looked like the remains of a meteorite! There was absolutely nothing else on the unblemished white surface so I figure I found the remnants of a visitor from space!

"Everybody dies...the thing is, to die well"

Jack Harper
JS569
Home club or Range: catterick

#68 Post by JS569 »

MrD wrote:
JS569 wrote:
Hi Donald, I've had a good look at the P1903 and I can't see any markings on it that would suggest Indian service - I pretty much recognise all the other stamps on it. Is there anything I should be looking for?
I've had a look at some pics of P1903s which I bought/sold years ago which had seen Indian service. Not sure which I still have without major searching. A few of them had 'straight' scales, not really shaped to the handle, which I assumed were locally made. Some of them had traces of green paint on the pommel and all carried various Indian inspection marks such as IG, IS or RFI. All of the blades were UK makers. If you can't find any of these marks, then I'd assume yours stayed here.

Donald
No markings as you describe, I assume it stayed here. Underneath the blacking, the blade looks in good condition.