The UK's Finest Independent Forum for Shooters and Gun Owners. Est 2010.

Supporting all legal firearm owners, collectors, enthusiasts, shooters and competitors by promoting and encouraging legitimate gun ownership and use in the UK through unity, advocacy and discussion. To REGISTER contact admin(at)full-bore.co.uk
It is currently Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:52 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Bored.....
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:11 am
Posts: 1235
Location: Upper Hutt, New Zealand
Home club or Range: Wellington Service Rifle Assocaition; NZ Deerstalkers Association; Wairarapa Pistol & Shooting Sports Club
Those aren't bayonets! That's my rifle!!


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bored.....
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:11 am
Posts: 1235
Location: Upper Hutt, New Zealand
Home club or Range: Wellington Service Rifle Assocaition; NZ Deerstalkers Association; Wairarapa Pistol & Shooting Sports Club
What's really odd is that that particular photo was part of a post I made late l;ast night in the "I've got a new gun' topic, and which seems to have been lost in the server changeover.

What's going on here?


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bored.....
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:41 am 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:52 pm
Posts: 15842
Location: The Lincolnshire Wolds
Home club or Range: Hemswell Shooting Club, North Cotes Butts, Grove Small Arms
I do apologise for the lost few hours we saw yesterday.

I can see a picture posted by CTF - is that not correct?

_________________
https://henryjacksonsociety.org


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bored.....
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:35 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:47 pm
Posts: 255
Location: Forres, Moray
@Charlotte the flyer

<Puts anorak on>
The bayonet which fits the M1 is an M5 bayonet, similarly the one for the M4 is an M9
<Anorak off>

I'd guess the M5 is genuine, plenty around and not expensive. Same blade basically as the M3 fighting knife and M4 (fits M1 Carbine) as well as others. The M9..... well it depends on the markings on the ricasso. As well as GI, many were made for the civvy market. I remember that the markings varied, plenty sites for the info.

@JS569
The P1903 was made by Enfield. Many of the blackened ones were used by India, they preferred the shorter bayonet on the SMLE apparently. Some carry Indian marks as well as British ones so get your magnifying glass out!

Cheers

Donald

_________________
Save it for a mammal who cares!

http://www.cawdorrifleandgunclub.co.uk/


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bored.....
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:30 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:47 pm
Posts: 447
Home club or Range: catterick
MrD wrote:
@Charlotte the flyer

<Puts anorak on>
The bayonet which fits the M1 is an M5 bayonet, similarly the one for the M4 is an M9
<Anorak off>

I'd guess the M5 is genuine, plenty around and not expensive. Same blade basically as the M3 fighting knife and M4 (fits M1 Carbine) as well as others. The M9..... well it depends on the markings on the ricasso. As well as GI, many were made for the civvy market. I remember that the markings varied, plenty sites for the info.

@JS569
The P1903 was made by Enfield. Many of the blackened ones were used by India, they preferred the shorter bayonet on the SMLE apparently. Some carry Indian marks as well as British ones so get your magnifying glass out!

Cheers

Donald


Hi Donald, I've had a good look at the P1903 and I can't see any markings on it that would suggest Indian service - I pretty much recognise all the other stamps on it. Is there anything I should be looking for?

I do prefer it to the 1907, it's much handier when mounted on the rifle. I have an P1888 which is essentially the same blade, just a different mounting system.

Currently I'm fabricating a 'rack' to mount them on the wall of the office, seems a shame to have them stuffed in a draw.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bored.....
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:11 am
Posts: 1235
Location: Upper Hutt, New Zealand
Home club or Range: Wellington Service Rifle Assocaition; NZ Deerstalkers Association; Wairarapa Pistol & Shooting Sports Club
christel wrote:
I do apologise for the lost few hours we saw yesterday.

I can see a picture posted by CTF - is that not correct?


It is correct now, but when first I spotted that post, the photo that was attached to CTFs post was not the one that is there now, it was a Remington 700 SPS Tactical in an Oryx chassis. Somehow the system switched the two photos, though I have no idea how.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bored.....
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:25 pm 
Offline
Site Supporter 2019
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:43 pm
Posts: 6646
Location: West of the Urals
Home club or Range: Classified
Can't see the bayonet pic........

_________________
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bored.....
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:47 pm
Posts: 255
Location: Forres, Moray
JS569 wrote:
Hi Donald, I've had a good look at the P1903 and I can't see any markings on it that would suggest Indian service - I pretty much recognise all the other stamps on it. Is there anything I should be looking for?

I do prefer it to the 1907, it's much handier when mounted on the rifle. I have an P1888 which is essentially the same blade, just a different mounting system.

Currently I'm fabricating a 'rack' to mount them on the wall of the office, seems a shame to have them stuffed in a draw.


I'll dig mine out over the weekend and have a look. I seem to remember some of my Indian ones having odd replacement scales, but it's been a while. I also have several P1888s as well as a P1903 with a VR blade showing it started off as a P1888. Mine are all in plastic bins as few are attractive enough to be displayed and folk think I'm weird enough! Need to thin the herd out a bit, especially my bucket of No4 spikes!

Donald

_________________
Save it for a mammal who cares!

http://www.cawdorrifleandgunclub.co.uk/


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bored.....
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:16 pm 
Offline
Site Supporter Since 2019
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:59 pm
Posts: 84
Location: In the middle!
Home club or Range: Diggle and MSR&PC
Attachment:
bayonetsA.jpg
bayonetsA.jpg [ 145.39 KiB | Viewed 201 times ]
More bayonets - British and Commonwealth I think!


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bored.....
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:47 pm
Posts: 255
Location: Forres, Moray
Apart from the obvious non bayonet, from the top:
P1907, No4 MkII, No4 MkII*, No5, No7, No9 (could be UK or Pakistani), No9 South African, L1A1 and SA80.

Most will have a maker's mark which would allow you to discover more.

If you want help, let me know

Donald

_________________
Save it for a mammal who cares!

http://www.cawdorrifleandgunclub.co.uk/


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group