Hemingway Kits

If you are making it or modifying it, repairing it or restoring it, it goes in here.

Moderator: dromia

Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

Hemingway Kits

#1 Post by Alpha1 »

Have any of you guys used any of the Hemingway engineering kits. If so what sort of skill level would you need to complete one.
http://www.hemingwaykits.com/index.html
Individual
Past Supporter

Re: Hemingway Kits

#2 Post by Individual »

I've only done this one :
http://www.hemingwaykits.com/acatalog/L ... ies_7.html

and I found it quite enough of a challenge for my skill level ( imbecile - numpty )

It came with clear instructions and drawings, not difficult for someone who knows what they are doing.
But I still made a few mistakes. troutslapping
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

A neighbour did a couple, I remember the knurling one he made was superb.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
mag41uk
Home club or Range: Aldershot R & P Club

#4 Post by mag41uk »

that V8 - wow!
Alpha1

#5 Post by Alpha1 »

Yes some cool stuff. I have ordered some. I am in isolation for three weeks so I need something to stop me getting bored. I have you-tube,d some of the kits that interest me being machined and assembled. I am not sure I have the skills needed to complete them but we will see. I just set a budget and as long as I don,t go over that its fine.
Alpha1

#6 Post by Alpha1 »

Received an email the kits are on the way 48 hour delivery so to morrow or the day after. I am off for 4 weeks self isolating so they should keep me busy as well as a lot of other stuff I am keen to get on with.
Alpha1

#7 Post by Alpha1 »

Received this to day. Studying the drawings at the moment.

http://www.hemingwaykits.com/acatalog/F ... older.html

teanews hmm whats next. Probably should not rush into this project.
Alpha1

#8 Post by Alpha1 »

Definitely not going to rush in to this project. First mistake I should of read the instructions and looked at the drawing closely if I had I would of realized this tool is for machine reamers that come with a tapered shank. So I will have to modify it for my needs. It,s a good job I have autocad.

teanews hmm whats next. A cup of tea and go sulk for a bit. buggger
Alpha1

#9 Post by Alpha1 »

I have been looking through my files on the computer I am sure I had a drawing of ovenpaa,s set up but I can not seem to find it.
Alpha1

#10 Post by Alpha1 »

OK I finished my cup of tea went out into the garden kicked a few tree stumps and bushes. Swore quite a lot. Went into the shed and stared at the lathes and stuff. Sat down on my chair and started fondling stuff. I was there a while I had a good look at the drawings.

Hey you know what its not a show stopper.

I can make this work its probably easier to make this tool for what I have in mind than machining it to accept M2 tapers.
So we will see. What did occur to me while looking at the bits that came for the kit the bar stock and stuff I probably have 95% of it on my shelves at work. I probably for a very small outlay could build a bundle of these. You are obviously paying the money for the drawings.

That is providing I have the skill set to actually complete this thing. If it works I will post a picture of the finished article if I fail you will never know. :cry:

teanews hmm whats next.
Well I aint going to rush into this. I am taking time out. I have an order from a moderator ( Rifle barrel moderators) importer for ten .308 bullet pens he wants to give to some very special probably dealers in the UK. So that is first. I struggle to keep up with the demand for these. Its just as well I am of for four weeks.
I just had a thought this all most turning into a blog. May be you should just give me my own section in the forum then I can just ramble on and you can all quite happily ignore it.

On a more serious note listen to all the advice stay at home in these trying times hopefully we will all get through it. That first day on the range after all this with our good friends who we will have not have seen for an age will be a good day.