Firing Pins

If you are making it or modifying it, repairing it or restoring it, it goes in here.

Moderator: dromia

Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Firing Pins

#1 Post by Ovenpaa »

Firing pins, the other day I was making them for a Browning and more recently it was a Baikal.

I really do not have the slightest inkling of what I will be making next which is probably one of the many reasons I enjoy my job. This one was a pin for a SxS Baikal that should have been a straight forward job.

I soon discovered the good news when I removed the disk and found what looked like part of a pop rivet and a destroyed spring and that was about it. So I opened the other side and dimensioned the pin and headed over to the lathe with a sense of nagging doubt in the back of my mind. Cocking and firing the left barrel just didn’t seem right and with the pin machined and a suitable spring found I took a closer look and discovered the left hand hammer was not dropping crisply and believe me when I say these things are entertaining to pull apart.

With the hammer and spring out I discovered the other half of the firing pin/pop rivet so it was just a matter of compressing the spring, replacing the hammer and associated arts and it was good to go. Well it was once the safety had been stripped and cleaned. Remind me to post some pictures of how I compressed the hammer spring sometime.

On a plus side at least I had the pin and spring from the right hand side to use as samples which is more than some things that come in.
Baikal-Pin.jpg
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Firing Pins

#2 Post by 1066 »

:) :) I thousands of those "firing pins" in various sizes - Any one still using them?
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

Re: Firing Pins

#3 Post by Alpha1 »

:good: