Added some handguns to the armory

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

rufrdr

Added some handguns to the armory

#1 Post by rufrdr »

I don't think I've shared these with the group yet, so for your viewing pleasure here are several handguns I picked up in 2019

A pair of Colt government model 1911s in stainless steel. The top is a 1982 series 80 in .45, the lower pistol is a 2004 in .38 super. The .38 super appears to be some sort of limited edition version with a coating on the frame, enhanced sights, a magazine well funnel (which I removed) and Colt rubber wrap around grips (which I also removed). Both are great shooters but the .38 really shines accuracy-wise which is a switch for Colt. Back in the day the .38 super was not known for accuracy due to having the barrel set to headspace the round on the rim rather then the cartridge mouth as just about all other modern rounds do. Apparently Colt got in line with other .38 super producers and headspace on the case mouth.

This one is a beat up FEG Browning clone that is marked as though it was produced by Browning (but wasn't). The story is that they were sanction busting pistols for Iraq during the Saddam reign. Why marking them as a Browning produced arm would circumvent any legal restrictions is beyond me. Anyway all I wanted was the frame to which I installed a Ceiner .22 High Power conversion kit so that I have a rimfire companion to my High Power Mk3. Accuracy is acceptable but it is more of a plinker than anything.

These are most likely the last handgun acquisitions for me, as I am actually thinning out my inventory on hand.

"Everybody dies...the thing is, to die well"

Jack Harper
AL8

Re: Added some handguns to the armory

#2 Post by AL8 »

nice, if only
ordnance

#3 Post by ordnance »

Nice.
bnz41
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#4 Post by bnz41 »

Very nice indeed, like the .38 Super rare here one was for sale here under the Historic 7.3 purchase rule but sadly sold.
20series
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

#5 Post by 20series »

Cracking purchases mate, as always not jealous much...

Have you still got the Swiss Luger I shot? I often comment on how nice the trigger was.

Cheers Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
johngarnett
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: Cornwall RC @ Millpool; Duchy Shooting Assn @ Zelah

#6 Post by johngarnett »

Thank you for sharing. Just going to a quiet corner. I'll be back soon
JohnG
rufrdr

#7 Post by rufrdr »

20series wrote:Cracking purchases mate, as always not jealous much...

Have you still got the Swiss Luger I shot? I often comment on how nice the trigger was.

Cheers Alan
Hi Alan,

Yes I do! I've promised it to my younger son once I can no longer shoot it (which won't be coming soon hopefully). Your visit was a fun time. The 1919a4 is gone, I got tired of lugging everything to the range and back. A former 82AB NCO who does WW2 reenactment displays bought it for his group. It has a good home.

"Everybody dies...the thing is, to die well"

Jack Harper