Just applying for my first FAC & SGC

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Just applying for my first FAC & SGC

#11 Post by Ovenpaa »

The most important thing is you are totally honest on your FAC/SGC application (Apply for a co-terminus as it will save some time and money) No matter what you include or omit on your application they will find out eventually, so be honest about things now, they will appreciate it.

Good luck with the application.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#12 Post by Mattnall »

I'm glad you rang them. It makes sense as they'll be the ones ultimately signing off on the certificates. And it helped put your mind at ease.
As Ovenpaa said, tell them everything, they'll find out anyway and even if not an issue if you'd told them, withholding could be seen in a bad light.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Geek
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: Diggle Range and Rossendale Fusiliers

#13 Post by Geek »

Your comment "Ordered my cabinet last night so i'll get that installed while i'm at home over Christmas"

Usually the cabinet location is agreed with the police when they undertake their visit after you have submitted the FAC application - that is how it worked for me (about 7 years ago)
Regards,

Geek

AI AT (.308/6.5CM), Ruger PR (6.5CM), American Rimfire (.22LR), Remington 700 (.223), Marlin underlever .38/.357/.44, Savage 6BR, RimfireMagic .22LR, Fabarm Lion (s1), Fabarm Axis Baikal S/S
andy1979
Home club or Range: Wednesbury Marksmen

#14 Post by andy1979 »

Geek wrote:Your comment "Ordered my cabinet last night so i'll get that installed while i'm at home over Christmas"

Usually the cabinet location is agreed with the police when they undertake their visit after you have submitted the FAC application - that is how it worked for me (about 7 years ago)

My cabinet can only go in one place my bedroom upstairs as it is the only place on an external wall that can't be seen from the outside of my house.

The other two places are my kids bedrooms and I don't think they'd allow that.
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#15 Post by Pippin89 »

Geek wrote:Your comment "Ordered my cabinet last night so i'll get that installed while i'm at home over Christmas"

I didn't do this. I had it installed when the FEO came round. It saves them 2 visits. She was happy to hear it was already in when she called to book the visit as well. As long as you read the guidelines and follow them there shouldn't be an issue.
MarkW
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Mendip Shooting Club

#16 Post by MarkW »

Same here, for my SGC I was wary as heard so many scare stories. So mailed the visits team and asked a few questions, fitted it where I thought best, they inspected it when they came, signed it off so to speak with a nod and a smile. He said he was glad he didn't have to come and revisit as we are on the other side of the county from their office so would of been a long trek for him just to look at the cabinet
andy1979

#17 Post by andy1979 »

Staffordshire and West Midlands is a 3 month+ wait so they are extremely busy so helping them streamline by not having to carryout multiple visits helps others renewals and grants get done quicker.

A couple of my mates shoot clay's and game so I've had guidance on where it needs to go and I've been self educating by reading the home office guidance's etc. I'm trying to demonstrate i'm a responsible person.

I've had a declarable medical condition in the past so i'm going to preempt the request for a doctors certificate and get it and send it in with my application.

Cabinet arrived today went with a Westwood 6 gun cabinet in the end cheaper end of the scale but will do for now.
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#18 Post by Pippin89 »

andy1979 wrote: I've had a declarable medical condition in the past so i'm going to preempt the request for a doctors certificate and get it and send it in with my application.
Not sure I would bother with this. They will have to contact your GP anyway so you won't be saving them any work. Just declaring it should be enough.
andy1979

#19 Post by andy1979 »

Well I visited my GP to preempt the contact from the police and all I can say is good luck to West Midlands police getting any cooperation from my GP.
I went in to my GP and asked them if they had any objections to me holding a FAC & SGC as I had a declared medical condition in my past and the police would in contact for a medical report and the response was we don’t do non NHS work.
Now I’ve looked for a new GP in the past as my current one isn’t very good only problem is all of the GP’s in my area are part of the same group (health and beyond) so changing GP’s is pointless as they are all effectively the same GP surgery.
What’s the best course of action shall I just let the police do their thing and hope everything goes through?