Winchester Model 101

All things shotgun related.

Moderator: dromia

Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

Winchester Model 101

#1 Post by Pippin89 »

Hi All

Can anyone tell me where I can find a manufacture date for the above with serial number K4127xx? There are plenty of online sources but they all seem to stop in 1971 with serial number 140500...
Sim G

Re: Winchester Model 101

#2 Post by Sim G »

That might have been when production was moved to Belgium. Have you compared to Browning date codes?
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#3 Post by Pippin89 »

Sim G wrote:That might have been when production was moved to Belgium. Have you compared to Browning date codes?
I read somewhere else that the K means it was made in Japan. Haven't seen the Browning date codes but I will look them up.
DaveB
Home club or Range: Wellington Service Rifle Assocaition; NZ Deerstalkers Association; Wairarapa Pistol & Shooting Sports Club

#4 Post by DaveB »

The K came about as a result of the Gun Control Act of 1968. Until the CGA sporting firearms like shotguns didn't even need to have serial numbers and many of the inexpensive ones like Savages and the like did not have them. After the GCA they were required to have serial numbers and the serial number had to have a letter prefix. The prefix chosen by Winchester for the 101 was a 'K'. Various number blocks were assigned to various gauges. The 12 Ga 101s apparently started with K200000. I tried to find out when my Winchester 101 Skeet was made. I do not have it handy so can't be more exact, but mine was somewhere in K21XXX block and was made in 1968.