Obsolete cal question

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
DanTheMan
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Weybridge

Obsolete cal question

#1 Post by DanTheMan »

Just a quick question, have a mate who collects pistols offer to sell a lovely pair of 11mm MAS 1873 revolvers.
Are there any changes in the law due re obsolete cal or can these still be owned as antiques for the foreseeable future?
dodgyrog
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

Re: Obsolete cal question

#2 Post by dodgyrog »

Anything on the Home Office guidelines??
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
DanTheMan
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Weybridge

#3 Post by DanTheMan »

So many bullshit regs changing with the EU laws being brought in and Offensive Weapons Bill etc just wondering what the short answer is.
davidh195
Past Supporter

#4 Post by davidh195 »

Shots were fired with one of those at the force helicopter in Birmingham.

The main facilitator re. antiques is in prison now, apparently the criminals weapon of choice is currently the Glock. Whether the police & NABIS & home office will drop it is anybody's guess.

It's all gone quiet at the moment the government has plenty of other things to think about, it was proposed that you could keep them on FAC & hand them in for destruction when no longer wanted or hand them in for compensation.

David
I applaud your enthusiasm, even though your grip on reality may be somewhat tenuous......
Sim G
Past Supporter

#5 Post by Sim G »

DanTheMan wrote:Just a quick question, have a mate who collects pistols offer to sell a lovely pair of 11mm MAS 1873 revolvers.
Are there any changes in the law due re obsolete cal or can these still be owned as antiques for the foreseeable future?

S58 still exists, so can be owned as a curio or ornament, without certification. Enjoy them, but perhaps don't make a "big" investment would be my caveat.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
James84

#6 Post by James84 »

I sold my 44 Russian a few years ago and regret it... I would love to get another one but nobody ever seems to sell them (unless anyone knows somewhere to get one?). The sites/dealers that do have them ask 2-3 times the price they were a few years ago.