Sad news, death at the tunnel

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
strangesam
Home club or Range: Invicta Bristol, Frome and District PC

Sad news, death at the tunnel

#1 Post by strangesam »

When was the last time someone died on a UK civilian range?

https://www.bridportnews.co.uk/news/179 ... ing-range/
A man has died after an incident at a shooting range.

Emergency services were called to The Tunnel Target Sports Centre on Axminster Road, Charmouth, shortly before 6pm on Tuesday.

They received a report that a man had sustained serious injuries at the centre.

Officers attended along with the ambulance service and the man, aged in his 40s and from Somerset, was airlifted to Southampton General Hospital.

He subsequently died in hospital.

The man’s family has been informed and are being supported by officers.

Officers are carrying out enquiries into the incident on behalf of the coroner. It is not believed there was any third party involvement or suspicious circumstances.
glevum
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Cotswold Rifle Club

Re: Sad news, death at the tunnel

#2 Post by glevum »

I believe there have been a few incidents at Bisley over the years

https://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/local- ... ge-4829548
Sim G
Past Supporter

#3 Post by Sim G »

Shooting is by its nature, an inherently dangerous sport despite its safety record. Mental health issues in middle aged men in the U.K. is around 1 in 8 people suffer. Suicide is one of the biggest killer in men under 45. Three times more likely than women to kill themselves.

Very, very sad, particularly for the family. But really thankful we don't see more deaths from either reason above...
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Les
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: WRPC

#4 Post by Les »

It's very sad indeed, and condolences to the family.

It doesn't actually say how the man died. Was he shot, or perhaps fatally injured from a breech explosion? Is there any further information about the incident?
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#5 Post by bradaz11 »

No, there isn't. I was there 2 days after and didn't even hear a murmur about it. I think they are being deliberately quiet about it tbh. They announced it happened after the article was published, but gave even fewer details than the reporter.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Sim G
Past Supporter

#6 Post by Sim G »

From the article;

“Officers are carrying out enquiries into the incident on behalf of the coroner. It is not believed there was any third party involvement or suspicious circumstances.”
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Chapuis

#7 Post by Chapuis »

Strangesam enquired "When was the last time someone died on a UK civilian range?"

I've no idea when was the last time that someone died on a civilian range but on reading the report of the incident at the tunnel range two incidents in the distant past came immediately to mind.
The first was at the Crown House range in Penarth when a club member was observed by witnesses deliberately taking his own life. This was recorded as suicide at the inquest. The second concerned a young shooter under similar circumstances who died on the indoor range of D.J.Litts in Newport. That incident was recorded as accidental death but a close friend of the family later said that the young man was severely stressed at the time regarding his education and future career.