Club Ammunition Records

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Triffid
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Wey Valley

Club Ammunition Records

#1 Post by Triffid »

Having read of various incidents where the Police have found Club ammunition records to be deficient, I want to ensure that my Club doesn't fall into the same trap.

Currently we use a notebook to record use of club ammunition, recording name, date and quantity and cost/payment. I can the reconcile this against purchases onto the Club FAC.

I'd like to use a better system, particularly as we are starting to provide more than just .22 as the Club does more fullbore shooting. However we don't provide ammo for Members normally, it's just for the Probationers.

Has anyone got ideas on a good system to use, particularly one which the Police have looked at?

Thanks
Triffid
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

Re: Club Ammunition Records

#2 Post by Dark Skies »

Triffid wrote:Having read of various incidents where the Police have found Club ammunition records to be deficient, I want to ensure that my Club doesn't fall into the same trap.

Currently we use a notebook to record use of club ammunition, recording name, date and quantity and cost/payment. I can the reconcile this against purchases onto the Club FAC.

I'd like to use a better system, particularly as we are starting to provide more than just .22 as the Club does more fullbore shooting. However we don't provide ammo for Members normally, it's just for the Probationers.

Has anyone got ideas on a good system to use, particularly one which the Police have looked at?

Thanks
Triffid
Surely some simple stocktaking software is available for not much money. Take away the restricted aspect of shooting and that's all i boils down to - stocktaking.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#3 Post by Mattnall »

Excel spread sheet and a balance column, a quick 'IN'-'OUT' box and there you go. Balance sorted.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
MrD

#4 Post by MrD »

We use a simple set of stock-cards, which show amount taken on and amount issued for use with a running total. A new card is created when a new purchase is added to our armoury and updated until all has been 'Issued to Use.' The completed cards are held in case of any queries.

This has been looked at by the police both as part of out HO Approval and annual check, and no concerns were raised.

Donald
Save it for a mammal who cares!

http://www.cawdorrifleandgunclub.co.uk/
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#5 Post by Pippin89 »

My club has a register where everyone is signed in on the evening with their fees paid (range fee, hiring a rifle etc) and then there is also a column for any ammo purchased. There is an ammo lock box to store purchased ammo in, especially for people without FAC's, so it is always there to check whats been fired and what hasn't if that's ever necessary. People who leave their ammo sign the register at the end of the night to confirm they have left their ammo in the box.

I can't say what goes on behind the scenes as I am not involved in that but the stuff out the front seems to cover everything you need.
hitchphil
Home club or Range: Bisley - Mostly

#6 Post by hitchphil »

The security arrangements for the storage of club firearms and ammunition are
satisfactory; (see notes 1 & 11) (note 1 is about guest days).

The security arrangements for storing firearms must be satisfactory to the local chief
officer of police acting through the force firearms licensing department.
Thats the HO published guidance on this. If you go way OTT on that then a few FLOs start to assume all clubs must do it & make things up as they go as well.

In our club ammo is simply accunted via FAC or purchase accounts (invoices) & is issued on the FP.... thats it. All I had to do was satisfy the FLO that i would know if ammo went missing. So we also have a very simple list of members who have access to the armoury cabinets. I have seen clubs being asked to account for every round! with registers for bought vs issued, sold, shot, retained, misfire even empties! etc etc - its madness & there is no requirment for it. in a club that can get thru several 1000's of rounds thats nutz.

so please - keep it simple & make sure its a club scheme for you & not applicable to everybody.
Quality control of Scottish Ethanol. & RDX/HMX

& my fav chemical is :-) 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine.......... used to kill frogs.... but widely consumed & in vast quantities by the French? Eh?
Andy632
Home club or Range: Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club (& Cawdor Rifle Club)

#7 Post by Andy632 »

Our ammo purchased goes under your name on the sign in sheet.

The poor Club Secretary handles everything else! :cry:
Rifle & Pistol Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club.