Gallery Rifle competition rifle

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

Hunterboy

Gallery Rifle competition rifle

#1 Post by Hunterboy »

As a novice new to shooting about to start buying a rifle or two, can anybody tell me which brands of rifles competitive shooters use in the gallery rifle competitions? Thanks for any advice .
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

Re: Gallery Rifle competition rifle

#2 Post by Daryll »

Ruger 10/22 for GRSB, Marlin underlever for GRCF

The Ruger is very customisable, so you could buy a basic one then buy "bolt-on goodies" as time progresses... or you can pay £1k or more for a fully tarted up one..

Some of the AR clones (S&W MP15-22 etc) are being used, but i couldn't say how they're comparing with the 10/22's.

The Marlin is the best of the underlevers... side loading, scope mountable, in either .38/.357 or .44.. pros and cons of both calibres.

Daryll.
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#3 Post by Mattnall »

Same as the above.
44 Marlin straight out of the box, no slicking, NO SCOPE, it's great. Looking for a 357 version now.
10/22 with just the auto bolt release mod and a target hammer to lighten and crisp up the trigger. Add a 1.5-bowl or similar low powered scope (I use a Simmons WTC) and job done.

Neither rifle should need much done to it to make it competitive, the above will suffice for most of the Phoenix/Action Weekend competitions maybe with only a few tweeks for one or two comps.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Alan D
Home club or Range: Private range

#4 Post by Alan D »

I would suggest trying a few of the above options out, many variables, how much folding money you have, personal preference etc...

It doesn't have to cost a fortune..
Hunterboy

#5 Post by Hunterboy »

Many thanks for the recommendations. As a newbie, I’m looking to do things as cheaply as possible while I find my feet.