New laws coming?

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: New laws coming?

#1281 Post by Blackstuff »

The Event wrote:
This page https://services.parliament.uk/Bills/20 ... ments.html shows every submission sent to the Public Bill Committee. I see BSSC, BASC, NRA, all making some (weak) defence of self ejecting rifles but nothing from the UKPSA. Even the MLAGB who are unaffected by the Bill managed to make a submission including lever release and MARS rifles.
How could it possibly be ridiculous to expect the UKPSA to make a submission if even the muzzle loaders managed to? Are their funds really so tight they can't afford to send an email?

I really don't know what to say, given that I had it direct from the UKPSA regional director and the BSSC rep?! I note that my own and at least two other peoples submissions are not on the list either, time for some investigation!! ****

There was no prospect of the Government dropping the proposal to ban LRs & MARS just because IPSC rules were changed to say there is a competition for them. Any time spent on that would have been better used writing to MPs. I didn't say it would but 'legitimising' the rifles by having an internationally recognised shooting organisation isn't going to hurt is it?

I said that the UKPSA would be the association with the largest number of affected members, not that those members use them in official IPSC matches. While the owners are probably members of NRA affiliated clubs, pistol calibre lever release rifles in particular tend to be used in practical style gallery rifle shooting. Those shooting these events are the ones most likely to also be individual UKPSA members. The UKSPA probably had the best chance to reach the largest concentration of owners by contacting their members. There were several UKPSA forum threads urging members to write to MP's
Regardless of whether people use LRs in UKPSA shoots, one of the main reasons to object to this Bill is that the same reasoning will later be used to ban LBRs, LBPs, .22 semi auto rifles & multi shot shotguns. But apparently still nothing has been learned about hanging together.
Both NRA and UKPSA should have made more effort in defence of lever release rifles. Agreed. I got emails from the NRA urging me to contact my MP about opposing the ban on .50s but nothing about LR & MARS. I'm not an NRA member so can't comment
DVC
The Event

#1282 Post by The Event »

Committee stage in the Lords is scheduled to begin on 28th January. But nothing showing how or if we can submit evidence to the committee.

There is a list here of amendments introduced so far. Many of them are the same ones as were removed in the Commons.
http://lordsamendments.parliament.uk/?S ... rentPage=1
There is an amendment to reintroduce the ban on .50s and also one to remove the ban on self ejecting rifles and another to require increased storage for self ejecting (and other) rifles.
Tacticool
Home club or Range: EMMR

#1283 Post by Tacticool »

The Event wrote:Committee stage in the Lords is scheduled to begin on 28th January. But nothing showing how or if we can submit evidence to the committee.

There is a list here of amendments introduced so far. Many of them are the same ones as were removed in the Commons.
There is an amendment to reintroduce the ban on .50s and also one to remove the ban on self ejecting rifles and another to require increased storage for self ejecting (and other) rifles.
Lord Kennedy has had a field day, added stupid amendments left right and center. I see he’s trying to get mini rifle Section 11 removed and ownership of any ammunition part without a license which are both mega changes!

Sent from my boing using "An application"
HH1
Home club or Range: PSA

#1284 Post by HH1 »

Tacticool wrote:
Lord Kennedy has had a field day, added stupid amendments left right and center. I see he’s trying to get mini rifle Section 11 removed and ownership of any ammunition part without a license which are both mega changes!

Sent from my boing using "An application"
Well that could make criminals of lots of members of the Public... I have a number of .375H&H Fisher Space Pens on my desk right here that are made using .375 H&H brass cases.
Plecotus
Home club or Range: Monmmouth & District Rifle Club, NRA, Chepstow Rifle Club

#1285 Post by Plecotus »

The Event wrote:Committee stage in the Lords is scheduled to begin on 28th January. But nothing showing how or if we can submit evidence to the committee.

As I read it, this would potentially apply to .22 RF semi-autos too.
RDC

#1286 Post by RDC »

Plecotus wrote:

As I read it, this would potentially apply to .22 RF semi-autos too.
It would. It would also apply to a 130 year old .577 Martini Henry.
Insert the following new Clause—
“Increased security measures for certain firearms
(1) The Firearms Act 1968 is amended as follows.
(2) Before section 5 insert—
“4B Increased security measures for certain firearms
(1) A person commits an offence if, other than at times when he or she has a weapon specified in this section on or about his or her person, it is not secured in accordance with Home Office Level 3 Security.
(2) The weapons specified in this section are—
(a) any rifle with a calibre greater than .45 inches, or
(b) any rifle with a chamber from which empty cartridge cases are extracted using—
(i) energy from propellant gas, or
(ii) energy imparted to a spring or other energy storage device by propellant gas.””
Hunter87

#1287 Post by Hunter87 »

This sport is slowly dieing due to this government.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#1288 Post by dromia »

The sport is dying due to the lack of any meaningful and effective representation for legal gun owners at a national level, our lack of any effective national organisation means we are an easy meat victim.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
BamBam

#1289 Post by BamBam »

I've been out the country, can somebody tell me where we are with the ban situation?
Airbrush
Home club or Range: Nra

#1290 Post by Airbrush »

BamBam wrote:I've been out the country, can somebody tell me where we are with the ban situation?
Today was Grand Committee day 1 in the Lords.