SGC renewal Question

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Hunter87

SGC renewal Question

#1 Post by Hunter87 »

My SGC is up for renewal soon, I don’t currently have any shotguns on my cert and I am not planning to buy any guns anytime soon but I still want to keep my SGC as in the future it may be something I want to get back into. My question is do the police carry out another home visit/ cabinet inspection during the renewal process? The reason I ask is I sold the cabinet when I sold my last gun and I don’t really want to buy another just to not be used.

Many thanks
IainWR
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

Re: SGC renewal Question

#2 Post by IainWR »

One really useful thing a SGC allows you to do is borrow a gun from another SGC holder, and you can do that for up to 3 days with no paperwork at all. That in itself seems to me to be reason enough to have the SGC (it's the exact basis I have mine).
Christel
Site Admin

#3 Post by Christel »

Be mindful of the "no cabinet" situation. Fine to borrow a shotgun for the day, not to store.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#4 Post by Blackstuff »

You are going to be quizzed if you don't have a cabinet, there's no two ways about it. If you have a fellow SGC holder friend you could get their permission to say that if you did decide to buy a gun they would store it in their cabinet until you got your cabinet reinstalled and they might accept that?
DVC
Sim G
Past Supporter

#5 Post by Sim G »

I wouldn’t bother with the renewal. Should you decide to come back to the sport, then apply for another certificate then.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
J4mes
Home club or Range: Classified

#6 Post by J4mes »

On my last two renewals I've had visits. And those visits were much the same as the initial visit, same questions, paperwork and inspections.

I expect you'll have to discuss it with your FEO, they may grant your renewal on the condition that you install a cabinet before you purchase another shotgun. The guidance doesn't state that you MUST have a cabinet, only that it's the general easiest way to securely store.

if you're a member of a shooting body, give them a call and see what they suggest.
Hunter87

#7 Post by Hunter87 »

I think I will forget the renewal and just send back my SGC can’t really be bothered with it.
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#8 Post by Mattnall »

If you shoot with a friend's shotgun regularly get it added to your ticket, it is free and easy to do, just requires an email to the firearms dept to let them know.
This way it is his still but you can take it for as long as you like and as it will normally live with your friend you might get away without the need for a cabinet.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.