Seen at Salisbury this morning.........

Somewhere to share your tales, anecdotes and memories from past days.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Please remember to respect the copyright of the author. Please do not post content from this section elsewhere without the specific permission of the author.
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

Seen at Salisbury this morning.........

#1 Post by Pete »

DSCN3075 Shot prop.jpg
DSCN3079 Lewis gun.jpg
DSCN3076 Bristol Scout.jpg
A bonus to a morning at the market.
The Scout is owned, maintained, and flown by the grandson of the original pilot who flew it in 1914-18.
He told me it was the only airworthy example left. The Lewis gun wasn't synchronised, and they found that 1-2 in 10 rounds would go through the prop. blade.
The pic is of an original prop with two hits that had been repaired at the time. Engine is a Rhone 85 hp radial with 4.5:1 comp ratio. It can easily be swung over with one hand.
A beautiful bit of aviation history in good useable condition that can stay airborne for two or more hours and climb at nearly 45 degrees.
He took it to Greece in a trailer last year and flew it from the same airfield as his grandfather did exactly 100 years ago.
The best bit for me is that it's not concours.......it's grubby, drips oil, (total loss system with exposed valve rockers, runs on castor oil), and looks like it's used and enjoyed.

A bit like my 1991 Eunos...........

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Seen at Salisbury this morning.........

#2 Post by Ovenpaa »

Lovely, I do wonder how long it takes to fit and trim the wings after transport to a location other than by flying it.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Dahonis

#3 Post by Dahonis »

A good find goodjob

......and a fantastic insight into our past aviation. We truly have come a long way!!

Thank you for sharing.
Pete
Past Supporter

#4 Post by Pete »

Guys, it's a replica, (which wasn't mentioned this morning)............only an engine, control stick, rudder bar, and magneto are original parts.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-29736999

Still, an interesting project nevertheless,

Pete
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
Pete
Past Supporter

#5 Post by Pete »

In the excitement of seeing it there, dripping oil, and looking as though it had just landed after a sortie, my inner small boy took over...............
It simply didn't occur to me that it was a replica. Only an engine, magneto, and a couple of the controls had survived.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-29736999

Pete

#6 Post by 1066 »

I've just read "Flying Fury" ….James McCudden VC.

This is his account of five years of flying in the Royal Flying Corps. 57 victories by the time he died at the age of 23 in 1918. The hardship these early pilots endured is hard to comprehend, patroling at 20,000 feet in the middle of winter in an open cockpit with no oxygen, and I was amazed at how unreliable the guns were, often jams after every few rounds and standing on your seat to change the drum on the Lewis guns while flying with your knees.

Certainly a good read if it's in your interest zone.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
Ovenpaa

#7 Post by Ovenpaa »

This is it in flight and it gives you an idea of just how these things were.

/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

#8 Post by safetyfirst »

Pete wrote:.only an engine, control stick, rudder bar, and magneto are original parts.
Pete
What do you mean? There aren’t any other parts!

The rest is just string cloth and wood!