Question on the Law (Shotgun Shooting)

All things shotgun related.

Moderator: dromia

pbrazendale
Home club or Range: MRPC

Question on the Law (Shotgun Shooting)

#1 Post by pbrazendale »

Hi Guys,

I have both sec 2 and 1 licenses and regularly shoot at a local shoot in Manchester with my wife who is not a licence holder, she signs a sec 21 and is under my supervision.

I have booked on a shoot near Harpenden this Easter weekend as my wife’s parents live down there, when I phoned up to book the guy mentioned the police have said that everyone who shoots needs a license even my wife otherwise she couldn’t shoot, is this enforceable from a legal perspective?

It seems it’s not the land owner it’s the police who have told him?

Thoughts would be welcome

Many Thanks

Sent from my boing using "An application"
TomH
Site Supporter Since 2017
Home club or Range: ORPC

Re: Question on the Law (Shotgun Shooting)

#2 Post by TomH »

Sounds in your case like a venue that organizes regular clay pigeon shoots but is not a clay ground in it's own right open all week.

To allow non SGC holders to shoot requires an exeption to be applied for with the local Firearms and Explosives Licensing Department under Section 11(6) of the Firearms Act 1968. This may have not been applied for or may have been refused.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#3 Post by bradaz11 »

i thought you can lend a shotgun, if shooting on land where you are allowed to shoot?
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Duey
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Offas Dyke, Pickering, North Cotes Butts and Grove small arms

#4 Post by Duey »

Only if you are the land owner or the shooting rights holder not if your a guest
The OPs wife can shoot a shotgun of the land owner or the shooting rights holder if they are accompanying her
That's how I understand it anyhow
J4mes
Home club or Range: Classified

#5 Post by J4mes »

Duey wrote:Only if you are the land owner or the shooting rights holder not if your a guest
The OPs wife can shoot a shotgun of the land owner or the shooting rights holder if they are accompanying her
That's how I understand it anyhow

This is my understanding of it too.
the running man
Home club or Range: Bdrpc ebrpc

#6 Post by the running man »

If you are shooting on land with permission you are acting as the landowners agent (just like a lord lets his ghilles take bankers on stalks) the trick is that its one on one supervision....as i understand it.......

Regular clay shoots have a section 11 licence which allows non sgc holders to shoot there...
When someone says "it's not about the money" you know what? it probably is all about money!
pbrazendale
Home club or Range: MRPC

#7 Post by pbrazendale »

Ok guys thanks for the responses, I’ll take the wife down and see what the situation is hopefully she can shoot under me if not then no worries I’ll just have to get her an SGC to be safe in the future.

Sent from my boing using "An application"
Thorney
Home club or Range: Silverstone Shooting Centre

#8 Post by Thorney »

The rules are different from shotgun to section 1, section 1 estate rifle rule can only be a firearm on the grantors FAC, shotgun can be under the grounds rules but cannot be an 'occasional' shoot.