.45 Colt ammunition

A section for exchanging cases, projectiles, powders, slings, non shooting related, anything you can think of. Please bear in mind some things have to be exchanged in person.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Newly registered users can read only, it takes 15 posts on the forum to be able to post here.
nunhead
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

.45 Colt ammunition

#1 Post by nunhead »

I am starting to rationalise my stock of ammunition to simplify things.
I have a fair bit of REMINGTON factory ammo for .45 Colt. It is now a SILLY price (well over £1000 + VAT per 1000 round TRADE PRICE)

I would consider a deal including .32WCF (.32-20) --- or .38 Long Colt (for my .380Long rook rifles) or modern cases for .300 Rook and .300 Sherwood.

I am 250y outside Bisley Camp.
FredB
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: stourport

Re: .45 Colt ammunition

#2 Post by FredB »

Jim: The best solution for .380 rook rifles is to use .38 S&W brass. Cut down .38 Special cases work but are a slack fit in the chamber and you get a lot of blow back which, with such light pressures, results in considerable variation in velocity and hence accuracy. If you use the correct heeled bullet in an annealed .38 S&W case then you do not need reloading dies, just thumb seat the bullet. Chamber dimensions on .380 rifles vary a lot and so it is best to batch the cases for the individual rifles.
Conversely, the cut down 38 Sp brass works well in .360 no5 rifles, if correctly chambered. In .360 no5, I have had the best results with unmodified 38 Special cases loaded with standard HBWC bullets.
Regards,
Fred